Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

SewExtremeSeams 06-25-2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Linny (Post 5314473)
Can't wait to see what new things you come up with.......do we have to wait very long?

OK, I am going to work on a piece 5x7 tomorrow (Tuesday). And I will post it tomorrow. So, you dilute the rubbing alcohol a little or a lot and spray on after you have inked your pens onto the cloth... and watch it spread? Thanks!

Oksewglad: come on, let's jump in together!:p

Jaci, thanks for the link. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at each and everyone. It was amazing how different each little quilt was from the others. A lot to learn there.

suziehammond 06-26-2012 05:44 AM

nancia---I was so tickled when I found Rubbing alcohol down here I ran home to play with my Sharpies (labeled in English so they are real ones) I think the problem is that the alcohol strength is suspect. Going to break open a bottle of 'real' stuff' and see how it goes. LOL

We've had itchy feet most of our adult lives. Every 10 years or so we wind up relocating somewhere exotic. (Canada,Australia, England, NM, etc) We decided to 'retire' from San Diego CA 3 years ago and are now in Chile. Love it altho my Spanish still sucks. First thing I have to do of course is find the fabric stores in town. That is soo much fun......... :) BTW DD lives in Austin.

Linny 06-26-2012 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5317123)
OK, I am going to work on a piece 5x7 tomorrow (Tuesday). And I will post it tomorrow. So, you dilute the rubbing alcohol a little or a lot and spray on after you have inked your pens onto the cloth... and watch it spread? Thanks!

Oksewglad: come on, let's jump in together!:p

Jaci, thanks for the link. I thoroughly enjoyed looking at each and everyone. It was amazing how different each little quilt was from the others. A lot to learn there.

I think I may have thrown you off by mentioning the 91% alcohol. Actually that is stronger than most alcohol, so I would say do not dilute. Hope this helps.....waiting to see your gem.

nancia 06-26-2012 11:07 AM

suzie-- you should meet my sister ! she has lived all over the u.s. and has lived in montreal, cairo, singapore, and been around the globe countless times! she hopes to trek through tibet in a few years. she'll be 65 in august and she's the ever ready bunny! she just goes and goes and goes!! i've travelled some, but have always lived in the u.s. and texas. lol, i may as well try the markers i have. if i don't have rubbing alcohol, will vodka work?:p

SewExtremeSeams 06-26-2012 02:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok Linny, here is the beginnings of Thomas the Cat, my GK's much loved cat. I experimented with the rubbing alcohol and learned quite a bit. I have completed Thomas, dried him and iron-set him. Next, I will try adding other colors for his background. It's not exactly the way I want it but rather than try for perfectly how I wanted it, I decided to just keep going. I am sure there are other tricks to explore and learn. I used BIC Mark.It fine point permanent marker.

1st pic: just pen
2nd: sprayed with alcohol, dried and ironed
3rd: experimenting with other colors

Not planning to launder this when I complete it.

SewExtremeSeams 06-26-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by nancia (Post 5318626)
...lol, i may as well try the markers i have. if i don't have rubbing alcohol, will vodka work?:p

If you have it, you might as well see what it does? Could be educational!

Linny 06-26-2012 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5319015)
Ok Linny, here is the beginnings of Thomas the Cat, my GK's much loved cat. I experimented with the rubbing alcohol and learned quite a bit. I have completed Thomas, dried him and iron-set him. Next, I will try adding other colors for his background. It's not exactly the way I want it but rather than try for perfectly how I wanted it, I decided to just keep going. I am sure there are other tricks to explore and learn. I used BIC Mark.It fine point permanent marker.

1st pic: just pen
2nd: sprayed with alcohol, dried and ironed
3rd: experimenting with other colors

Not planning to launder this when I complete it.

Oh I love the kitty....what a nice job you have done so far. Will the kitty be laying on a rug? Be sure to post a pic when you're finished. Isn't it fun? I have fine tip markers also and they seem to work best. Your grandchildren will love it.

dotcomdtcm 06-26-2012 04:32 PM

We seem to be a small group. Is our July theme "cool"?

Linny 06-26-2012 05:28 PM

Suzie suggested "Refreshing and Cool". I'm happy with that.....plus all the sharing of experimenting with new things. I don't have mine started yet.....hopefully an idea will surface and I can start soon.

oksewglad 06-26-2012 06:51 PM

I too have a "refreshing and cool" idea--just need the time to implement which I am hoping is next week!