Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

nancia 06-27-2012 05:02 PM

i played with the sharpie 18 pack of colors. all ran, some nicer than others. would like to know how to control the flow. the fabric stains do not run.(also by sharpie) and the silver did not run either. i think for me it is easier to work with acrylics, but i would like to mix the two.

oksewglad 06-27-2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by suziehammond (Post 5320603)
Yeah, I have about 5 'great' ideas. Or so I think when I have them.....geez. Sometimes wish my brain would slow down so the rest of me could catch up. I am thinking of experimenting with that lovely shredded cellophane ironed onto fabric to show some air movement. Have you played much with that?

Oh how about an AC unit with the cellophane "blowing" from the unit?

mamajack3 06-27-2012 06:02 PM

Ok ladies let me see if I can get my brain going. I may have to give it a jump start. lol Can't wait to see what everyone has going.

Flo_rancher 06-27-2012 06:25 PM

I was reading all the old post..finally got to where you are posting. What is the theme for july? thank you FLO

nancia 06-27-2012 06:52 PM

hi, flo! welcome! july is cool and refreshing. i'm thinking of doing a large glass of iced tea!

SewExtremeSeams 06-27-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma (Post 5321478)
Thats right Sewextreme, you are south of me. We are still cold over here. My DH will be down that way tomrorrow give him some heat to bring back up here. I am going to have to take a couple of days off work sometime to go down there and visit you and your "farm". Then we can play with art quilt stuff together.

Could be fun! We were quite hot today after yesterday's rain and wind. :D We have had roof and interior damage to our home due to all the heavy rain/wind we have had this month. Friday the contractors will be repairing the roof and after the 4th we meet with our contractor to begin planning all of the extensive interior work that has to be done. One bonus is we get brand new kitchen and dining floors. Lots of fun ahead!

Linny 06-28-2012 04:17 AM

For some reason my computer would not let me post yesterday so I want to say welcome to mamajack and Flo. The "Art Challenge" is fun and has a free spirit feel.......looking forward to seeing what everyone creates for July.

abdconsultant 06-28-2012 05:21 AM

In college I took a course on stained canvas, just mix a small amount of acrylic paint with lots of water and layer the applications of colors, dry completely between layers.
I actually hosed off the canvases in the driveway to clean them. works well. Use a flat watercolor synthetic brush for the best control. Give it a try and heat set the results for regular weight fabric. Put your prewashed & dried fabric on a hoop to work from. I always stretched the canvas and hosed it off to dry and tighten. Just thinking you may want the control of the fabric in a hoop, wash the fabric and dry it before staining.

Linny 06-28-2012 02:00 PM

Have lots of acrylics left from my woodcarving days so might give this a try. Thanks.

nancia 06-28-2012 02:21 PM

i haven't tried that technique, but it sounds very interesting. does it produce a watercolor effect? or is it more like a tie-dye?