Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

jaciqltznok 07-16-2012 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by sistahdebbra (Post 5367225)
HELP!!! I need some help please. I'm working on my July challenge (refreshing and cool) and would like to use "angelina fiber" to put some sparkle into my running water. The problem is simple, I don't know how - I tried and it came out to firm, I'm going to try and mix it with loose threads .... any suggestions would certainly help - Thanks much. You can PM me or place on thread.

you might need to cut your fibers into small pieces, and then they are easier to spread out and make thinner! ALWAYS be sure to work on a non-stick surface and cover your fibers with a teflon pressing sheet to protect your iron and ironing surface! A little does go a very long way!

pollyjvan9 07-16-2012 06:13 AM

Hi everyone, What a relief to able to log on to the QB. I haven't been able to since Thursday or Friday! First, thank you for you kind comments about my zendoodle wallhanging. I had no idea you could learn something like doodling, I have always said I don't have an original thought in my body, but I can usually figure out a way to copy something, but doodling like that just seemed beyond me. I am having so much fun in the evening with scrap paper and a pencil just doodling. Can't say I have really learned how, but feeling a little more confident.

As for the wallhanging, I have such a hard time with the term "art quilt". If this is an art quilt I have been making them almost since I started quilting in 2007. I just read one of the QB articles regarding embellishing and since I have been thinking the yellow gingham just did not fit (why did I do that!) I think I will find something to hide those three pieces. I will post in a day or so to let you know what I have decided on.

pollyjvan9 07-16-2012 06:17 AM

Hi Dotty, just rereading the posts and wanted to tell you I absolutely love your wallhanging! Did you plan the position of that moon or was it one of those really happy accidents!? Would you mind if I borrow your idea for a "birthstone" quilt? Thanks, you can PM me or I will watch this thread. Polly

pollyjvan9 07-16-2012 06:19 AM

Wendy, your tree is way cool. I really like the beading. I don't think you need to change a thing

jaciqltznok 07-16-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5366526)
Paula Burch's Community of Dyers has a wealth of information on all types of dyeing, including discharge dyeing.
http://www.pburch.net/drupal/?q=forum/23 There is info on which black dyes discharge to which colors, but I'm not sure about commercial black fabrics. Don't rule out non-blacks in your testing. They often have great results, too.

Be aware that manufacturers change their dyes without notice, so a black that may discharge red today could be orange or cream on a sample from a different dye lot down the road...or it may not discharge at all, some dyes don't. Note the Kona 1080 Coal in the photos below (top row second swatch). Very little discharging after over 5 minutes.

Color results will also vary slightly depending on the type of bleaching compound used. In the photos, compare the Soft Scrub vs bleach results, particularly with the yellow swatch (part of that is the density of the application in the bleach sample, but it truly is lighter IRL). Bleach results are sharper, clearer and have no halo. In fact, it is the halo color in the top samples that is the total color in the bottom samples. Not better or worse, just a difference to be aware of.

This is a test bunch of Kona solids discharged with Soft Scrub w/bleach (all are Kona)

and these are the same color fabrics discharged with full strength bleach.

interesting about the HALO...I have been using soft scrub for years, and pulled out some of pieces, and there is NO haloing on any of them....wonder if it is just a KONA thing!

ghostrider 07-16-2012 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5369265)
interesting about the HALO...I have been using soft scrub for years, and pulled out some of pieces, and there is NO haloing on any of them....wonder if it is just a KONA thing!

Nope, Moda Bella has the same result. (samples were all done in early 2010)

jaciqltznok 07-16-2012 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5369302)
Nope, Moda Bella has the same result.

then maybe it is a solids thing..I mainly discharge on batiks! will have to see if I have any solids to try this on.

ghostrider 07-16-2012 06:42 AM

And I'll try it on batiks, plus some Moda Marbles. Should be interesting! :)

sistahdebbra 07-16-2012 09:38 AM

@Suziehammond, my design is kids playing in the water from a fire hydrant. It's a childhood memory of mine. I will try and use a little bit as you and Jaciqltznok suggested. Also adding some other medium to it. Thanks much

pollyjvan9 07-18-2012 06:10 AM

Sistahdebbra, I have been trying to learn how to use Angelina Fiber also and am wondering if you may be pressing the fibers to long. I am finding that if I hit a thin layer of fibers very quickly - like a fast count of 1 2 3 - between the teflon pressing sheet it has much more shine. Also I am working with a small piece of fiber, a little smaller than my iron so I don't heat it too long. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks and good luck. Looking forward to seeing your project, sounds so cute.