Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

nancia 02-19-2013 09:17 AM

that's quite pretty. how do you , or do you, propose to make it larger? or will you be framing it? wall hangings to me, represent something of size or substance. i can see where this piece could be successfully mounted on a metallic background, or felted perhaps to a larger presence.

pollyjvan9 02-19-2013 10:01 AM

This particular piece I made for a cuff bracelet, but I am starting on a larger piece (about FQ size) that I am thinking of using as the central part of a medallion quilt. Maybe a crazy quilt, do you think that would work?

nancia 02-19-2013 10:21 AM

i would love to see this sort of piece worked into a crazy quilt. be sure to give us lots of eye-candy glimpses of your progress!

SewExtremeSeams 02-19-2013 12:32 PM

Polly, I like what you have started.

goldendog55 02-21-2013 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I FINALLY have something to show you, so you can see I'm not slacking off too much! I'm not quite done with the quilting, but wanted to let you see it. It is January's theme.

The leaves are angelina fiber with some yarns enclosed. The background was made with watercolor crayons. I did the roots with bobbinwork (sewn from the back), and I wrote some of the things I am beginning in the free-motion quilting.

goldendog55 02-21-2013 10:37 PM

I forgot to tell you about the petals. I took interfacing to back the leaves and slit the interfacing to turn the edges. They are gathered by hand and just stitched at the gathering and the ends, so they are 3-D and are loose.

nancia 02-22-2013 02:30 AM

i'm so glad ypu explained the petals. they certainly look 3D, and i think the way you achieved it is very interesting. is it similar to preparing a circle for applique'?

suziehammond 02-22-2013 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by goldendog55 (Post 5879463)
I FINALLY have something to show you, so you can see I'm not slacking off too much! I'm not quite done with the quilting, but wanted to let you see it. It is January's theme.

Thanks heaps! There are so many good ideas to try out in that little gem! Love it.

suziehammond 02-22-2013 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 (Post 5872273)
I felted this on my embellisher. It isn't a valentine, but it is romantic enough to qualify, I think. I am experminting with with this technique to make a wall hanging. Any suggestions?

Love this cuff. I have a new appreciation of detachable collars and cuffs for my clothes all of a sudden....hmmmm...

Looking forward to the next installment.

SewExtremeSeams 02-22-2013 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by goldendog55 (Post 5879463)

The leaves are angelina fiber with some yarns enclosed. The background was made with watercolor crayons. I did the roots with bobbinwork (sewn from the back), and I wrote some of the things I am beginning in the free-motion quilting.

Wow, Judy, you did a great job. Thanks for sharing.