Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   ART Quilt Challenges Monthly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/art-quilt-challenges-monthly-t189772.html)

jolo 06-01-2013 05:33 AM

hey,Suzie, I do art or scenic quilts. That is my favorite. Something that made me feel so good was: one day as I was shopping at my favorite LQS for a particular type of fabric,the shop employee who was also a friend, said to me "Jo you have made me look at fabric in an entirely different way." At that time I was looking for a fabric that would look like old weathered wood for a barn. lol By the way we found the perfect fabric. I look for skies, water,trees,sunsets and sunrises etc. lol Jo

nancia 06-01-2013 09:51 AM

jolo-- we'd love some pictures, please! we're very visual, and all the other senses , too. how did you get started on landscapes and scenics? what inspired you? and what guided you? i want to try everything!!

suzie-- i'm still stuck on 5's. and the snap dragon thing! i finally found a snapdragon plant, and i have the snaps. did some rough sketches and when i say rough.....nearly skinned my knuckles right off! dh could tell what they were, but he's a botanist and had the live flowers in front of him. i have discovered that drawing skills need to be used or they fly out the window! i will add that to my daily to do list.
as a break from all things quilty, i made a dress for one of my 18" dolls. had to get this one! she is made by madame alexander and is named..............(wait for it)............................................... ............OLIVIA! since i have an olivia and have great hopes of acquiring another ( i'm talking about my real live dgd, and my daughter's love's daughter, who with luck will become another dgd), this doll just seemed meant to be for me! she was $18, which is a right amount, too. yay, zuilily!!
when i'm not buying fabric, i'm buying doll stuff. lol. these started out with the dolls my daughter was "too old" to play with. guess i'm in my 49th childhood, or i never got out of my first! lololol

dotcomdtcm 06-01-2013 01:53 PM

Looked at the video. Too many ideas. Will look again. Too many choices right now.

nancia 06-01-2013 02:01 PM

dottie-- i'm still sending good wishes your way. hope the change in care will help rob. hugs!

dotcomdtcm 06-07-2013 02:59 PM

Rob has been discharged... to my house... big bed, elevator, 24 hour drugs, proximity to MDs.
Going on vacation next week, so all will work out! Quuilt On!

nancia 06-07-2013 04:27 PM

YAY!! such good news! enjoy that vacation, you have more than earned it!

suziehammond 06-08-2013 01:34 PM

Dotty I bet you are one relieved but busy girl. Nothing like a recuperating patient to keep you moving in your sneakers.

I know what you mean about all the ideas on this month's challenge video. There are so many techniques to try out. I was hoping something in there would just chime with each person to expand horizons and techniques. Like you my thot was 'there are 10 things in there to try right away'! Am experimenting right now but have no concrete direction. I think I will watch it again....after I discipline myself to finish the art piece due for and online class and the actual bed Q I have 'on the rack' for a good friend. (It is getting cold down here with snow all over the mountains and 38 degree temps at night.

My best to your family and sure hope to get time to create happening again.

dotcomdtcm 06-08-2013 04:04 PM

The first piece demonstrated resembles a " Shofar" the ram's horn that I believe is sounded when my Jewish friends (and in-laws) celebrate Rosh Hashonah. I may try one when I get back from vacation in France. Vacation in France, OMG, there ARE benefits to providING one's child with a fine education

suziehammond 06-09-2013 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm (Post 6111487)
Vacation in France, OMG, there ARE benefits to providING one's child with a fine education

No kidding! Wish I could meet up with you over there and we could fabric shop and moan about how dreadful the prices are. :) Enjoy the heck out of it.

Pancakerecipe 06-09-2013 07:07 AM

Wanna try a nice pancake then just try the recipe given:-
  1. Take a large bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix it well. Now pour egg, milk and oil again mix it until it smooth.
  2. Now heat the frying pan in medium heat. Scoop the pancake batter into the frying pan. Used approx. 1/4 pancake batter and now tilt the frying pan in a circular motion. Now Cook it for about when the bottom surface area of pancake is become golden brown in color.
  3. Cook the batter evenly from both the sides. Pancake is ready to serve with delicious topping or stuffing for your choice