Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Build a quilt around a central character you design (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/build-quilt-around-central-character-you-design-t194381.html)

QuiltE 09-17-2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by huntersgrammie (Post 5522412)
ok folks i need some help. some time ago there was a pattern on here for a quilt using a fabric book ex. the night before christmas, cut up and used as the blocks for the centre. please help i have 2 different books that i wanted to make quilts for my grandchildren and i have spent about 4 hours searching and can't find it. so i am counting on your help. thanks

I don't think it was on this thread ... if so, then it'd be on the previous pages, and you would just need to go back thru them all to find it.

Perhaps try the search function at the top fo the page and try different combos of words?

I'm not sure what you are looking for ... if it's how to assemble the blocks into a quilt ... cut the blocks apart and add sashings and cornerstones as you would a quilt that is made of blocks. They really can make nice quilts and I have a couple that I want to do ..... sometime! :)

Not sure if this helps you any?

QM 09-17-2012 11:37 PM

I have done that. I simply cut the book into individual pages, put them in order, sashed and bordered. On one, I put a spacer block at the beginning and end to make it come out even. Very quick, worked well.

I also took 2 children's books I wrote for my firstborn, redid them in applique. The words for one were printed onto the background fabric and had it as a Christmas present for my second son's first son. I would share a photo but I can't find it today. I got a blue ribbon for it. At our quilt show, I noticed several parents and grandparents reading the story to their young ones.

QM 09-17-2012 11:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looking for something else and found two of my many

QM 09-17-2012 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here's one from this year. When it gets into a quilt, the gold pan will have gold French knots.

I think I may make a California Boy quilt some day. I meant to put it into a swap quilt of boys from around the country, but I could not find mine when the other ones were sent to me.

Fuzzykittenbutt 09-18-2012 03:33 AM

QuiltE, any updates on your little bo peep idea? I'd love to see it! I'm currently working on an applique sheep quilt of my own design as well, maybe it qualifies for this group too?

QuiltE 09-18-2012 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fuzzykittenbutt (Post 5522909)
QuiltE, any updates on your little bo peep idea? I'd love to see it! I'm currently working on an applique sheep quilt of my own design as well, maybe it qualifies for this group too?

FuzzyKitty ... thanks for asking but sadly, no stitches have been sewn on Peep! Of course, yours should be here on this thread ... come on over and join us and we'd all love to share in your progress. Besides, Peep and her Sheep would like the company! :)

I did find a fabric that I am planning to use for the backing and will work some of it into the front. It's an all over small floral print. Maybe for her dress? or perhaps for a patch or two of flowers somewhere. Plan to use it as the colour scheme of the assorted fabrics that will be used, in order to tie it in with the front! Have been looking for black corduroy or a washable velveteen for the sheep heads/legs and never expected it to be so hard to find.

Also, keep debating whether to use regular cotton for the sheep? or minkee? I don't think I'll do freestyle sheep like you. My plans have always been to piecework them ... though seeing yours might inspire me to change my thoughts on this.

So the display is the same in my sewing room and I enjoy the view for inspiration as I walk by. Sadly, I have been working out of town a lot and leaving again this tomorrow for another week. I hope life slows down and I can get some sewing done soon.

So Welcome FuzzyKitty!! Hope to see yours coming more to life when I am back to home base again!

works4me 09-18-2012 05:14 AM

QM - You seem to do a lot of character quilts. Well done. This thread is for new projects so I hope you will design something new and sew along with us.

Fuzzykittenbutt - more sheep would be wonderful. Might provide incentive for QuiltE to stay at home for an hour or two at a time and work on Miss Peep. :)

Sorry huntersgramie - can't help you.

QuiltE 09-18-2012 05:20 AM

W4Me ... hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!
buttttttttt all this away, pays for the play time supplies!!! :)

And besides ... when Peep loses her Sheep, we'd be able to find off playing with FuzzyKitty's sheep!!!!!!!! :)

Fuzzykittenbutt 09-20-2012 06:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:-) I don't know what happened, I clicked the button to receive updates on this thread, but didn't get any. Luckily I got suspicious and dropped by again, and lookie there, very warm welcome messages for me. :-) Thank you QuiltE and works4me!

OK, I promise to move my sheep over to here. As soon as I'm finished with my two sheep's owl friend, I'll post an update and some progress pictures. For now, here are close ups of my two sheep:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364195[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364196[/ATTACH]

I forgot to order orange thread and it's an all organic cotton baby quilt, so I had to special order it, which means I also have to wait...don't like waiting, lol...and my friend, whom the quilt is for, is now very very pregnant...not sure if the quilt will be finished by her delivery date *biting nails*

charlottemarie 09-20-2012 06:34 AM

I love those sheep~!