Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/orphaned-blocks-qayg-challenge-t196192.html)

charlottemarie 08-27-2012 06:43 PM

Just a thought, did you abutt those blocks with the sashing sewed on top. I had trouble too until I realized that and it was much easier to get the sashings to line up. I don't know why I didn't realize that at first. I hope that helps.

charlottemarie 08-27-2012 07:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are my examples of what I'm saying:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358456[/ATTACH]

Abutt the two blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358460[/ATTACH]

Put binding strip on right block right side to right side and sew down
with 1/4" seam.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358462[/ATTACH]

Then roll your strip over to the left block and fold your seam in a 1/4" and you are ready to sew down the left side. Once you do this trim your strip even with the blocks.

I do hope this helps, this is just how I do it.
Charlottemarie

ssnare 08-28-2012 01:49 AM

Charlottemarie , thank you. There is a separation between the blocks. I used a decorative stitch to secure the sashing. I will have to see if I can use the seam ripper to take them apart.

gardnergal970 08-28-2012 05:04 AM

FYI all...Hancocks of Paducha has a 20% off sale this labor day weekend. Joanne's also. A good time to stock up on batting. Dubib...several size of wool which looks like a good buy.

I also researched Hobb's batting and they are made in Waco, TX. They talk about scrim but don't mention which side should be up.

Jenniky 08-28-2012 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by charlottemarie (Post 5472983)
Here are my examples of what I'm saying:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358456[/ATTACH]

Abutt the two blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358460[/ATTACH]

Put binding strip on right block right side to right side and sew down
with 1/4" seam.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]358462[/ATTACH]

Then roll your strip over to the left block and fold your seam in a 1/4" and you are ready to sew down the left side. Once you do this trim your strip even with the blocks.

I do hope this helps, this is just how I do it.
Charlottemarie

It took me a few read throughs... but am I understanding that you are reversing the top and bottom strips.. The folded sashing piece on the top and the flat sashing used on the back? Then you are adjusting the flap to match the width of the other sashings??? :confused: And this is helpful in aligning the machine stitching?? Would be wonderful if you could share a few more step by step photos of your method Charlotte please... I would like to understand what is working for you..so I can see if it will work for me... :thumbup: as I try the machine stitching this next time.:)

My goal is to have the next tutorial methods posted by the beginning of next week. At the same time I'm working on another QAYG method to get a good handle on it before sharing it. :)

vickig626 08-28-2012 06:33 AM

charlottemarie - I also am not quite understanding but my mind doesn't process information like it used to (part of the fibro).

ssnare - if there is a gap between the blocks, that means your sashing isn't tight enough. If your stitching a tight 1/4", it could cause this. I hope this makes sense. I went through this many times until I got it right.

charlottemarie 08-28-2012 06:37 AM

Hi Jenn, no I do one sashing at a time. After I fix the top sashing I turn it over and do the back. I do the same for the sashing on the back. Then when I finish a row that way, I do the strip the same way except then I have 4 or more blocks and it is just a longer strip that i am working with. I don't know if I did it right, but that is how I did my Halloween wallhanging a few days ago. I haven't got caught up enough with my boom to be back on this. I am going to finish it up and then I will be back online. I'm reading all the posts everyday to stay in touch.

charlottemarie 08-28-2012 06:43 AM

VickiG, my thinking is different too. I may be doing this all wrong, but it just works for me. My husband says I am always on another planet. LOL

Ssnare, glad I could help out. I just have to do things the way I understand. This now is a whole different critter from the bigger borders but I think it will work on those too.

gardnergal970 08-28-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by charlottemarie (Post 5473928)
VickiG, my thinking is different too. I may be doing this all wrong, but it just works for me. My husband says I am always on another planet. LOL

Ssnare, glad I could help out. I just have to do things the way I understand. This now is a whole different critter from the bigger borders but I think it will work on those too.

I understand what you're doing but you're actually adding a step that gives one more opportunity for the blocks to slip out of line and the strips to vary in size. After using your method, I would suggest that you review Jenniky's blog posting and it might make more sense to you now. I'm a visual learner too and sometimes even pictures don't work for me until I actually try it even when the steps don't seem to make sense to me.:)

VickiM 08-29-2012 05:07 PM

Hi everyone...I'm back from Wisconsin...good trip...coming back was stressful (left a day early--didn't want to be stuck in Atlanta for a couple days with the hurricane coming). I have caught up on the reading & am impressed with the quilts posted...great job, everyone! :thumbup: