Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Orphaned Blocks QAYG Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/orphaned-blocks-qayg-challenge-t196192.html)

Jenniky 09-06-2012 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by dublb (Post 5493712)
Awesome, Jenni! I never would have thought ta put the battin' in after the front sashin' was sewed on. It makes total sense. :thumbup:
The control valve went out on my hot water heater last night. DH is replacin' the whole hot water heater tanight. We will never buy a Whirlpool (sp?) again. This is the second one in 2 years. :( At least it didn't burst! :)

How awful that you have had to replace your water heater so soon.. I thought those things were suppose to last like ten to twenty years? Its awesome that your DH has the skills to install the new one, otherwise I can imagine the cost would be horrible. :(

vickig626 09-06-2012 07:53 AM

Jenniky - this is an interesting method but I think I'm a bit confused (my brain - not your instructions). Let me see if I understand .....

These connecting strips / sashing are wider than a typical sashing (say more than inch or so). Because of this, I need to "create" a quilt sandwich section.

I attach the front sashing and the back sashing like the 1st method. Where I got confused -- is the back piece folded like the 1st method than stitched down? if so, is the folding really necessary? or can I just fold over a small section to create the finished edge. After that, I do the quilting on that small sashing section?

I'll have to try this on a scrap and see if I'm understanding it but my brain just isn't processing it. That's the problem with fibro - it messes with the processing center of the brain. Learning something new is VERY hard but once I've learned it, I never forget. Weird, huh?

vickig626 09-06-2012 07:57 AM

dublib - sorry to hear of your heater issue. We are dealing with the same thing. Ours started leaking (apparently for a while) but didn't realize it until a couple days ago. Now, we're dealing with the moisture people, plumber, carpenter (to replace the rotted board (which is why we think it had been leaking a while), AND the insurance adjuster.

Feel for ya !! Wish hubby was still healthy (has severe COPD) so he could do the job and save us a ton of money.

And, like you, we went through this 5 years ago this month. Thought we wouldn't have to deal with this problem so soon.

vickig626 09-06-2012 10:14 AM

Ok, I copied the instructions into Word so I can print out and keep in a binder. While going through it again, it made more sense. But I'm still curious about folding the back sashing piece in half and if it is really necessary.

I need to find one of those little glue bottles.

Boston1954 09-06-2012 10:30 AM

Well, I have not worked on my sister's surprise in a couple of days, but it is better than half done and I have 3 months until Christmas so there is no problem. I have actually been making Christmas bags, and reading Nancy Drew. Since I am going through my second childhood, I figure I can get away with it.

Jenniky 09-06-2012 11:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Ladies, I finished up the reversible table topper this morning. Hubby just finished cleaning the garage so we are going out for a late lunch. I will post the last part of the tutorial when I come back. Vicki in answer to your question. Yes you do not have to use a complete fold if you would like to save on material. The way I did it was based on the formula I am using to figure out my sashing size and its just a whole lot easier for me. I dont have to mess with perfecting my fold under seams.. Thats just me. :) Other than the basting I did everything on the machine. Including both sides of the binding. Here are the finished pictures... bbl after lunch with the tute.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]360769[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]360770[/ATTACH]

Jenniky 09-06-2012 01:13 PM

QAYG HOLIDAY Reversible TABLE TOPPER

8 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]360785[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]360787[/ATTACH]

Pin the front sashing onto the front side with right sides together. Pin the back folded sashing to the back side raw edges together. Then sew a 1/4" seam.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]360789[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]360792[/ATTACH]

Sew the second section to the front sashing only. right sides together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]360793[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]360794[/ATTACH]

Measure your sashing ditch. As you did on the vertical sashings. Cut your batting piece to fit in the canal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]360795[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]360796[/ATTACH]

Make sure there is no bunching and then baste down both sides of batting to keep it from sliding in the canal.

Conclusion in the next post. :thumbup:

Surfergirl 09-06-2012 01:33 PM

Jenniky...I'm going to add borders...I want to learn that part, also. Thanks again!

Surfergirl 09-06-2012 01:37 PM

Thanks, Vicki...Sorry you're having problems. I, also, have fibro and know how it feels. I've really enjoyed learning this QAYG method. I've just been so busy and have a lot to catch up on. Hope you feel better.

Jenniky 09-06-2012 01:37 PM

QAYG HOLIDAY Reversible TABLE TOPPER

4 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]360802[/ATTACH][h=2]QAYG HOLIDAY Reversible TABLE TOPPER[/h][ATTACH=CONFIG]360802[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]360803[/ATTACH]
As we did with the vertical sashings we now run a thin line of glue to hold the
back sashing flap in place while we flip it over and sew it closed from the front side sashing .
Below is the finished front side and Back side of the Topper.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]360804[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]360805[/ATTACH]

Formula for figuring your front and back sashings. (This is only if you are using the folding method. )

[ Final width of Sashing ] + [ 1/2"] = Width of top Sashing.

[ Final width of Top Sashing * 2 ] + [ 3/4"] = Width to cut back Sashing.