Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Stash-busting Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/stash-busting-challenge-t196607.html)

qltgrose 10-06-2012 03:24 PM

Hello,
I just joined this group. Been a forum member for a while, but not active. Looking forward to connecting more! Quilterella, love your butterfly quilt...one of the prettiest patterns on butterflies I have seen for a while.
I have so much stash to bust I hardly know where to begin and lets not even talk about tops/partially pieced tops, etc.

Jody/aka qltgrose

qltgrose 10-06-2012 03:30 PM

Knitoid, WTG on your stash busters. I love Bonnie to death, but havent had the courage to really start one of her patterns! I did save a couple of them I really liked from her website.

Jody/aka qltgrose

vickig626 10-07-2012 04:54 AM

yeah me!! I was at Joanns yesterday for some embroidery supplies and didn't buy any fabric !!! Hard but I survived LOL

QuilterMomma 10-22-2012 09:35 AM

I have failed, none to report for stash busting for the last couple of weeks. Then I went to quilt show and just had to buy a placemat and table runner kit for Christmas decorating this year. If I finish it by Christmas, then it will not be an UFO.

andiejohnsonsews 10-22-2012 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so enjoying this thread!! I'm a compulsive fabric purchaser - especially when I go to Fabric Shack and hit the remnant carts. (sigh)

I made this quilt from a stash/scrap-busting phase last year. I used all prints - only one tiny sliver of a solid is in there somewhere. I only bought one cut (1 yard of the tiny blue floral in the border). This was one of the most satisfying projects I've ever made. But sadly - it didn't really bust my scraps/stash like I would have liked. I should have made it bigger...

andiejohnsonsews 10-22-2012 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by qltgrose (Post 5566840)
Knitoid, WTG on your stash busters. I love Bonnie to death, but havent had the courage to really start one of her patterns! I did save a couple of them I really liked from her website.

Jody/aka qltgrose

Jody - I made Bonnie's Strip Twist pattern with a jelly roll and I. Love. It. It's one of my favorite patterns ever. I went through a pre-cut buying phase a few years ago ad had 5 or 6 jelly rolls just waiting to be used. Try that one - it's so fun and goes together in a flash.

Ccorazone 10-22-2012 03:50 PM

6 Attachment(s)
My stash-busting quilts. These were all made from fabric left over from previous quilts. All are lap size quilts intended for nursing home residents.

Ccorazone 10-23-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine (Post 5416862)
Now I know that stash-busting does not necessarily mean scrappy, but for those for whom it MIGHT mean that, I just received the following link from the Quilt Inspiration blog. I've never seen this pattern before-- and apparently it's been around long enough that someone has an antique quilt made with this pattern. I like that it's a) simple (pattern is included, scroll down to the bottom); b) looks traditional enough for my tastes; c) is also "abstract" in that it conveys butterfly without being cutesy; and d) could also be made as non-scrappy.

Check it out:

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...uilts-and.html

I used you link to this page and found the quilt called "Dancing Ribbions" . It is a beatiful quilt and I printed off the instructions. However, it is only 12 inches by 12 inches. I would like to make it bed size but I am having difficulty with the math on increasing the size of the cuts. Can anyone help???

QuilterMomma 10-23-2012 08:30 AM

What is the best size for nursing home quilts? I am making one for an 80th birthday for a man who is in wheel chair. just checking so not making to small. but you do not want to big.

QuilterMomma 10-23-2012 08:34 AM

Ccorazone, it is a paper pieced pattern, could you enlarge the design? I have no idea on this one.