Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Stash-busting Challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/stash-busting-challenge-t196607.html)

SandyinZ4 08-29-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5475073)
I put a slight dent in my stash. I just finished cutting up all of the flannel in my stash that I had purchased from the lady who previously owned my Bernina Artista... 3 years ago. Only problem was that I found I needed more solid fabric to go with all of the 6" squares I cut up. Took advantage of the Snuggle Flannel that Joann's has on sale for $2.99 a yard. After washing and drying it I was pretty impressed with its quality. Anyway, I have all the squares cut and matched with square. Next in line will be assembly line sewing hundreds of two 6" squares together. First to come out of those will be a throw for my DH and one for myself for our loveseat recliners and next will be throws for my Mom and sis. My goal is to not have any flannel left in my stash at the end. Planning to make crazy patch pincushions with the flannel scraps and then I know someone who uses flannel scraps. I have never attacked my stash like this before. It is sorta energizing!

Would love to see your project with flannel in progress. Can you post pics? I have a whole stack of flannel scraps and need to make two baby gifts.

jillaine 08-30-2012 04:27 PM

Great work, gals! (are there ANY guys on this board anymore?)

QuilterMomma, do you have a fullsize photo of your avatar? Tell us about it!

QuilterMomma 09-01-2012 07:11 AM

posted in ufo thread details of it. at fair on display right now.

I busted 4 yards for backing, on a quilt, sifting thru for some more backings on quilts today.

SewExtremeSeams 09-01-2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 (Post 5477799)
Would love to see your project with flannel in progress. Can you post pics? I have a whole stack of flannel scraps and need to make two baby gifts.

Sandy, I will post some photos as I get my project going. So far, I have those paired 6" blocks stacked at the foot of my sewing table. Life is getting in the way some right now. :)

LoisM 09-01-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Vanogay (Post 5419801)
Here is my Scrappy Asian - out of a magazine and I might just make another one. Bought the fabric for a quilt I made about 2 years ago. This has been sitting and a friend brought me the magazine in case I wanted to try - I did. This is before the quilting. Even the black was left over. I think I had to purchase the backing as I didn't like anything I had to use. Does this stil make it 90% or not???????????????

I love this! What size are the largest squares in the blocks?

LoisM 09-01-2012 10:45 AM

Great job of using your stash, Myra! I really love the purple one.

Vanogay 09-01-2012 04:46 PM

Trying to get some things done this weekend. Have to leave for Atlanta (Conyers, actually) on Wednesday. My BIL died on Thursday and we're going down to be with my sister for a few days and to attend the memorial service. Trying to finish another Quilt of Valor first - it's totally stash also. I'll post a picture of it (it's in progress, almost finished).

Lois M, the largest blocks in my Scrappy Asian are 6", I believe. The pattern is downstairs and I'm trying to remember. I have to take some pictures and post them tomorrow, so I'll pull the pattern back out and check that at the same time. I had plenty of the flower blocks to make a 3rd quilt, but not enough of the black and that gold/white. I'll find something else in my stash and start another. Thought I'd try that butterfly pattern everyone was talking about in the very first pages of this thread. But, Atlanta first and then home again and back to my comfortable grind.

LoisM 09-01-2012 07:35 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Kathleen. I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sure you'll be a great comfort to your sister.

donac 09-02-2012 02:07 AM

Kathleen sorry about your loss

I started working on this idea this week. I started making lapquilts for neices and nephews for Christmas. I made about 40 half log cabins in three hours thiswee. I will post when I get some things done. Most of this is from my stash. I am buying some blacks and greys since I don't have many of those and that is what one of my neice wants.

Krisb 09-02-2012 01:16 PM

Kathleen's quilt is, I think, Scrappy Asian Road from the Oct 2011 issue of Quilters World.