Amish Friendship Bread >

Amish Friendship Bread

Amish Friendship Bread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 PM

We were talking about this in chat -

Amish Friendship Bread
Day 1: Receive starter from a friend.
Day 2-5: Mush closed bag twice a day.
Day 6: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Mush bag.
Day 7-9: Mush bag and release air twice a day.
Day 10: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. This is the day you make your bread.

First measure three 1 cup starters and put them in three separate bags. Save one for yourself and give the other two to friends.

Pour remaining batter into a large bowl and add the following ingredients:
1 cup oil
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 large box instant vanilla pudding

Mix ingredients well. In a bowl, mix together 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar. Grease two loaf pans. Pour batter into loaf pans, and sprinkle top with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake at 35o degrees for 40-50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. This does really well in the freezer.

If you are starting the bread yourself combine 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup sugar in a zip-top bag and squeeze it together until mixed in. This is day 1. Leave overnight on counter at room temp.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 PM

I used to do this years ago. Was yummy and fun!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 AM

This sounds delicious!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 AM

This is the best bread ever!! I LOVE IT!!! And it is true, it does great in the freezer! YUM YUM YUM!!!! Now I am going to have to start a batch this weekend because it's been a while.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Oh moonpi thanks for posting this. Where is the russian one you were talking about?? I can't find it here.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Moonpi........I especially love sourdough bread and friendship bread.....in fact I am having to feed starter today for sd bread........i especially like all of the different variations of the amish friendship bread.......such as

Chocolate Variation: replace with chocolate pudding, 1/2 cups of chocolate chips and 1 cup of coconut.........pecans optionsal......or white chocolate pudding...........also roll chocolate chips in cinnamon........yummy.

Lemon variation; lemon pudding and 1/4 cup of poppy seeds, lemon extract, omit cinnamon, nuts and poppy seeds.........

Banana and Zuchhini Variation: Banana cream pie pudding adn 2 mashed bananas. Optional: 1/4 cup of chocolate chip to this..........omit cinnamon.
Optional also: add 1 cup grated zuchini.squeeze out excess liquid bake longer..about 75 min......but start checking after 50 min.

Christmas variation: te basic dinnamon amish bread plus 1 cup of craisins as well as pecans..........

Apple version: dried apples and caramel instant pudding......you can also add chopped dates and pecans.......adjust cooking time........If no dried apples.......substitute applesauce, raisens, cinnamon .......yum yum

I usually use 2 boxes of instant pudding.......

Now you cannot beat the amish bread recipe given by red garnet.......it is great..........I hope you do not get offended by these other ideas........Now this is the BEST PART..........don't have 10 days....need it today..........here is Wonderful Shortcut.............

Shortcut: Mix: 3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. flour............set aside as Starter
Then follow red garnets recipe above.........when completely mixed......add this shortcut starter..........place in 2 large loaf pans or 1 bundt pan or
48 muffin pans.......325 for 1 hr.......muffins........30-35 min........Hope you enjoy.........
Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 AM

My neighbor gave me a starter on the 12th so I am just 1/2 way through the process, can't wait to taste it. Now I can give some starter packs to some of my quilting friends at my next meeting because it should be ready to pass out by then.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM

I made this as Christmas gifts this past year and everyone who got them just loved them. My 2 sons kept sneaking loaves out of the freezer. I kept two bags of starter and put them in the freezer. I took one out and let it defrost at room temperature and it worked beautifully!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Where is the russian one you were talking about??
That wasn't me! Civil War nectar was the other thing I used to make. The starter is 1 part brandy, 1 part fruit, and 1 part sugar. Leave it set in a jar on the counter for a week before using. Every time you use it, replace the amount with equal parts sugar and whatever fruit is in season. Refrigerate in between uses if you are not using for more than a few days. Great on ice cream, pound cake, and such, but it does get very sneaky strong.

Does anyone have the recipe for sourdough pancakes? I used to have a sheet with soudough recipes, but the ones I always made were the biscuits and pancakes. Yummy!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM

moonpi,

i haven't thought of that fruit and brandy recipe in ages. once you start, there's no stopping. i think i'll save myself the trouble of chewing and just glue it to my hips.