Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Artificial sweetners >

Artificial sweetners

Artificial sweetners

Old 09-06-2016, 07:08 AM

Default sweeteners

My DH is Diabetic and we have tried about all of them. They seem about the same--Stevia and the other mentioned.

We discovered through trial and error, that he does as well just cutting out sugar completely and sweeteners also completely. We have also discovered that if there is a dessert I make that he really likes, I cut the sugar in half and it doesn't effect the taste that much. He has found he likes the taste just as well.
It took us a long time to figure that out but it works for him. Most recipes call for too much sugar, we found after we got used to this.
Good luck!
Mariah
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Suz

We also use Stevia. Mine is in liquid form for use at home. The bottle has a dropper and I use 5 drops in my tea. It is not quite as messay as the powder form. When eating out, I use Truvia in the packets.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
My DH is Diabetic and we have tried about all of them. They seem about the same--Stevia and the other mentioned.

We discovered through trial and error, that he does as well just cutting out sugar completely and sweeteners also completely. We have also discovered that if there is a dessert I make that he really likes, I cut the sugar in half and it doesn't effect the taste that much. He has found he likes the taste just as well.
It took us a long time to figure that out but it works for him. Most recipes call for too much sugar, we found after we got used to this.
Good luck!
Mariah
This is what we do. We use organic sugar and cut in half or less. Now when we taste something sweet other have made, we can't tolerate it. BTW, he's lost over 60 pounds in the last year!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:39 AM

I have tried them all but never liked them until I found Monk Fruit. Being a fruit it is healthy and has a more natural taste. It comes in a powder called Monk Fruit in the raw.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 PM

I tried Stevia but did not like the taste. Most of the artificial sweeteners give me headaches, so I stick to plain sugar in my iced tea. I use 1/3 cup in a half gallon of tea, so that equates to 225 calories, less than a 21 oz soda. Honey is for my hot tea or baking. Applesauce works well in some baked goods too. Diet sodas, candy, and cookies are things I just can't handle. Thankfully I eat more fruit than baked goods or other sweets.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 PM

My kids tell me I am weird because I would rather have a bowl of vegetables than any sweet. Just my own quirk I guess.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:09 PM

Because I care deeply for all my quilty buddies here, I want to share something important. When I became a diabetic, I dutifully changed to artificial sweeteners. I had a terrible time with my weight after diagnosis and really thought that it was the diabetes medication that was at fault. When I mentioned it to my doctor, she told me that medical science has proved that all artificial sweeteners cause carb-cravings. She explained it this way - "If you eat fake sugar, your tongue, which is the first part of digestion, tells your body that you have eaten sugar. Your body then signals the release of insulin to deal with it. The insulin finds no sugar to deal with, so it makes you crave sugar to work with." When I stopped using all sugar, switched to unsweetened tea (hot or cold) coffee, ( which I have always drank black) and spring water, I started to lose weight in spite of the fact that I can't walk very far, or do many exercises. A few months later I tried to drink a small soda. That was the nastiest thing I have ever done to myself. I drank coke for years, and now I do not know how I ever did. That stuff tastes nasty, so did Pepsi, Diet Coke,Diet Pepsi, and any other sweet or diet drink! My A1c has been at six for over 10'years and I can eat just about anything except bread or potatoes without any problems. Give it a shot, you might just be surprised, I know I was. I do encourage you all to investigate those sweetners your self. Hugs for all. -Kelly

Last edited by madamekelly; 09-07-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Stevia is not as sweet as other sweetners...
Old 09-11-2016, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by jbj137 View Post
*** In diabetic 2 classes they told us Stevia or anything else that has been manufactured
*** is the same as being tampered with and no longer Natural and is not safe.
*** Aspertane/Apertame is actually a poison in and should be avoided by all.
I agree about the aspertame, I used to use it all the time. I have actually had aspartame poisening, I used to end up in the hospital and getting shots of high dozes of pain killer, I was tested for everything you could think of. In 2/2008 it happened again and after being out of work for a couple of weeks trying to regain my strength, my daugher in law sent me an email about a book called Sweet Poisening, and just the infor in the email made me order the book. I'm a hard sell because there are always things people find wrong about just about everything. This book has me convinced not to ever use aspartame again. I read everything, I was shocked that flavored Blistex, flavored alka seltzers, biotics, etc most have aspartame in them. I either use straight sugar and once in a while Stevia but never aspartame. If the book isn't enough to convince anyone of how deadly this stuff it. I went off all aspartame after reading this book in 2008 and for the past 8 years I have not had one painful ER visit like I used to several times a year. If you read how this stuff was made and what ingredients are in it, you'd never use it again.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:27 AM

thanks for responses. i think i will stick to sugar and when my splenda is gone maybe try stevia or truvia.