Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Artificial sweetners >

Artificial sweetners

Artificial sweetners

Old 09-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I like Sugar Twin but have to order it online. the stores only sell the expensive stuff. you can cook with Sugar Twin too and they have it in brown sugar.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:59 AM

I don't use any Artificial Sweeteners,,,Reason being nearly destroy me I had a break out on my for head all my whole head and down to my bra fastener.I was in torment from the itching and sores on my skin,,,,Finally,went to a Dermatologist and they done a biopsy and results came back even though I'm a Diabetic the Artificial Sweeteners were destroying me slowly My Dr.had to put me on a medicine that I'll be on the rest of my life unless of course The Lord Heals Me,,,,So NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS FOR ME ,,,,Blessings
Old 10-01-2016, 02:23 PM

I recently switched to Stevia. I feel better about using a "natural" sweetener. My grandkids keep telling me that the artificial sweeteners are killing me. Made banana bread today and used 2/3 stevia and 1/3 regular sugar. Tastes fine. Can't tell that it's not all sugar.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I use a little creamer in my coffee. Can't stand the after taste of the artificial sweetners , natural sweeteners whateve you want to call them. I drink my iced tea only with ice. Tried one with sugar and the sweeteners and artificial and simple syrup. I go plain and simple. If I have cereal I don't even use anything to sweeten the taste. Milk or cream is just fine with me. I don't bake much and when I do it isn't usually anything sweet. Dont' do the pies and cakes anymore.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:20 PM

I like the liquid stevia that is mixed with a little glycerin. It is in a dropper bottle. I think the brand is NOW. You wouldn't use it for cooking, but for sweetening drinks, it works great. No bad aftertaste. For baking, I use 1/4 powdered stevia, and 1/4 sugar. The stevia seems sweeter than sugar to me.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:52 PM

I use Splenda on my cereal once in a while and that is about it. I Aspertane/Apertame would give me migraines - it took a while to figure it out, and saccharine was just plain horrid. My MIL carried those little pills with her and put them in her coffee - yuk. I do so little baking, it's a non-issue.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...th-vs-fiction/

Anyone can have a sensitivity or allergy to any substance. When I was a little girl I got hives from fresh peaches right off the tree. This was a very long time ago. I stopped eating them for a long time and now I don't have any problem with them. I don't worry about which sweetener is in what. I don't use all that much of it in anything. I can drink 4 oz. of diet coke a day and it doesn't trigger cravings in me. I am not overweight. I don't think there is just one answer or product that will work for everyone.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM

I enjoyed reading that article.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM

All artificial sweetener upset my stomach and/or gives me headaches. Even when I eat something and I have no clue what kind of sweetener has been used, if I get sick from it I start reading the nutritional label. Without fail, it will have an artificial sweetner in it. Sometimes, I can't even recognize the name of it, but I look it up online and sure enough, it's just another fake sweetner.

So, everybody is different. If something makes you sick, and when you stop eating it you aren't sick, you'll know what not to eat. Just listen to your body.s
Old 10-12-2016, 11:52 AM

I like Stevia, but only in small doses. I don't use the processed kind, I grow it in my yard. Mostly I just use it for tea - I pick some mint leaves and a couple Stevia leaves, pound them a bit and throw hot water over them. Organic, fresh, 100% natural sweetened mint tea. Yum!

Otherwise I use real sugar or honey in cooking, and/or using things like applesauce in cookies in place of some of the sugar and butter. I have no specific health issues or allergies so it's just all about moderation.