Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Bean soup >

Bean soup

Bean soup

Old 12-31-2016, 09:06 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It's been years since I even tried to cook dried beans because I never had success with them no matter how closely I followed the recipe. Just made me so mad and annoyed I gave it up. I'm a really good cook, too, as just a glance at me can attest!
Old 12-31-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I soak them overnight and then simmer for 1 hour, drain, rinse and then make my recipe. For baked beans, my recipe calls for all of the above plus 6 hours in a 300 degree oven after combining with the other ingredients.

Since I learned that adding salt inhibits the beans from softening, I omit it until I am ready to season the dish. Has made a tremendous difference in the time needed.
Just curious. when soaking overnight, do you leave them at room temperature? I usually bring to a boil and let sit for a little while before I drain the beans and cook.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Sorry, no help with your problem but the title of your message brought back memories. Haven't had bean soup since I was a child and my mother used to make it often. That was loooong ago.
My mother made the best pinto beans ever! Never could duplicate hers.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
Started at 8 am in slow cooker, soaked beans over night. 7 hours and the beans are still little Hockey pucks. Will the beans eventually cook down??? Have not made this before.
I tried slow cooker beans and was not all that happy with the results. Now I just cook them on the stovetop.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
Started at 8 am in slow cooker, soaked beans over night. 7 hours and the beans are still little Hockey pucks. Will the beans eventually cook down??? Have not made this before.
I did read the fresher the beans, the better they will soften.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

My Daughter cooks beans in the slow cooker. I haven't tried that. I cook mine on the stove top.
I soak my beans overnight with 1-2 tsp. of baking soda. Drain and rinse, bring to a boil, put in ham bone and ham, turn down to simmer. Cook until my desired softness. Always turns out, bake cornbread and eat.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:18 AM

FYI if you are new to a PC.
The length of time it take to pressure depends on your food and altitude.
My altitude is 5,200 feet
I cook a roast about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or till fall apart.
I cook beans 2 hours [just wash and cook, no soaking in Albuquerque NM]
In Dallas the altitude is 430 feet, these cook times are cut in half- it is a lower altitude
Judge your cook time by your altitude not the book,use the book as a guide to start with.
The longer you cook it the more you cook out your vitamins.
[My friend in Roswell cooked beans 2 days after soaking them, I threw them out and bought her a PC, and told her how to use it.]
Old 01-01-2017, 05:50 AM

Like Jan in VA, I'm a good cook, but gave up trying to use dried beans a long time ago. I used canned beans and "doctor" them to suit the recipe.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:28 PM

I just rinse my beans, throw them in crock pot, turn temp to high for 2 hours or so, then turn to low and go to bed. Done when I get up. I have recently bought an Instant Pot recommended by Everyday Cheapskate and now I can pressure cook beans in 30 minutes. Best investment I've ever made except for my Food Saver which was also recommended by Everyday Cheapskate.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:53 PM

I also use the easy way described by Blackberry but also add a cup of finely chopped celery, a cup of finely diced onion. and 1 large raw potato finely diced along with the ham bone---make it at least once a month from Sept thru March.