Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Birthday Cake - >

Birthday Cake -

Birthday Cake -

Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Default Birthday Cake -

Do you have a favorite or traditional kind of cake for your birthday? (or any other event?)

For me, it is a plain white angel food cake. My Mom or Grandma would make one for me from fresh eggs - of course, there were egg yolks left over - but I don't remember what they did with them.

The next best cake that my Mom would (rarely) make was poppy seed cake - with a custard filling and fluffy white (cooked) frosting.

Rhubarb cake is a current favorite - but it is not a "special event" cake.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;7862480]Do you have a favorite or traditional kind of cake for your birthday? (or any other event?)

For me, it is a plain white angel food cake. My Mom or Grandma would make one for me from fresh eggs
Old 07-12-2017, 07:21 AM

The left-over yolks make wonderful noodles. Our entire family love 'em!
For T.Giving I will have 6 egg yolks make then cook in the broth an they will sit and eat them and there are never any left!
Mariah

The yolks make wonderful noodles! I can make 6 eggs of noodles and they will eat them all!
10 of us!
Mariah

My birthday's in June and I always asked for strawberry shortcake. In the olden days, strawberries were only available in June.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:36 AM

I didn't like cake as a kid so my great aunt always made me lemon meringue pie for my birthday. When my kids came along and I started making birthday cakes for them I realized I didn't like cake because mom managed to make cakes as dry and tasteless the dessert Now my favorite cake is Boston Cream Pie.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 AM

It was my birthday on Sunday and my daughter got me a lemon drizzle cake complete with candles I'm 62 it was only the second birthday cake I've had. Other was for my 21st.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:22 AM

My mom used to make a pound cake and cut it into several layers. She then made up some mocha whipped cream and used it to frost the layers and the whole cake. Yum!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
It was my birthday on Sunday and my daughter got me a lemon drizzle cake complete with candles I'm 62 it was only the second birthday cake I've had. Other was for my 21st.
My B'day was Sunday too! But I must say I have had lots of cake. My favorite is a mint chocolate chip. But my family likes hummingbird cake which I make at Thanksgiving.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:46 AM

For my birthday in July, I always make a cheesecake with fresh blackberries on top. Everyone else, (10 family members) orders a choc depression cake from me made with 100% whole wheat (bran and germ included). Must be made one or two days in advance so the bran can absorb moisture, and the cake turns out as moist as brownies.