Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Birthday Cake - >

Birthday Cake -

Birthday Cake -

Old 08-13-2017, 11:28 PM

I don't remember any special cake as a child. As an adult, I prefer cookies to cake. My husband's 'cake' was an apple pie, my oldest daughter's - cheesecake with cherry topping, second daughter - white cake with white decorator frosting, 3rd daughter - peach dessert of any kind, like a peach kuchen, 4th daughter - pineapple upside down cake, son - was homemade German chocolate, but decided that was too much several years ago, so switched to his deceased father's apple pie. For me - carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. That's one cake I do like. Any grandchildren I bake for get a white cake with decorator icing decorated with their current interest.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:45 AM

German chocolate cake with the coconut pecan frosting. Four out of the 5 of us had birthdays in Sept. and we were pretty tired of cake by the end.

Marcia
Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=Mariah;7862490]
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Do you have a favorite or traditional kind of cake for your birthday? (or any other event?)

For me, it is a plain white angel food cake. My Mom or Grandma would make one for me from fresh eggs
My Grandma made me angel food cake from scratch every BD...still my favorite, I make them now but use a package
mix....with the 12 yolks left over she made a chiffon cake, that was very good also...
Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 AM

My dad always says "it's not a birthday cake unless it's chocolate!", and they had five kids, so I've always associated birthday cakes with chocolate cake. I've made other "flavors" for my son's birthday (key lime, peanut butter, etc), but chocolate is my favorite.

My dad makes the birthday cake comment often enough, that I even made it a block in my parent's quilt:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580114[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails chocolate-birthday-cake-block.jpg  
Old 09-05-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
German chocolate cake with the coconut pecan frosting. Four out of the 5 of us had birthdays in Sept. and we were pretty tired of cake by the end.

Marcia
One of my favorites! When I was a kid, the grocery store had German chocolate doughnuts, regular donate with chocolate glaze, then the center was filled with the coconut pecan frosting. I miss those doughnuts! I think they quit doing them when I was about five.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:12 AM

My teen daughters favorite cake and also her birthday cake is the One Bowl Chocolate cake recipe from the BHG cookbook also on
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chocolate-...hocolate-cake/
My partner when young his cake use to be a big 3 tier chocolate cake with chocolate homemade frosting from a recipe from womans day magazine but lost his taste for it at middle age.
A second cake we all three like is the hot milk sponge cake also from BHG.com just simple no topping.
For myself when I was younger I used to do different cakes for my birthday. But these days I do not bake much.
I also homebake my fruitcake for Christmas. Sometimes I save a bit for my January birthday.
In my youth at home was birthday cakes where baked from Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines mixes from an american grocery shop.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:53 AM

Fresh coconut cake is my personal favorite. I usually try to make it around Christmas when there are lots of other people around to help me eat it. My son loves the Tuxedo cake that came out a few years ago. It's essentially a chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting, covered in chocolate ganache. My husband loves a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting on the sides and raspberry jelly on the top and between the layers.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

My fave is homemade German chocolate cake. Homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is a good one too!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:20 AM

Never heard of a Lemon Drizzle Cake. Please fill me in, and maybe others!
Thanks, Mariah
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM

My favourte cake is called Too Much Chocolate Cake and is made from a mix with additions. It's wonderful.

Watson