Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Calling all Polish cooks!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    526

    Calling all Polish cooks!!

    I would like to make the Polish bread that my husbands grandmother used to make for Easter. I think it was called Bobka. It had a lot of butter and egg yolks in it and pretty much tasted like cake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Rosie the "ripper"

  2. #2
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,692
    I have to admit it I read this AS 'Calling All POLISH Cooks ' LOL But as if you polish your fingers!!

  3. #3
    cjr
    cjr is offline
    Super Member cjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    1,284
    I use recipe in old Betty Crocker cook book , add lots of extra eggs and extra sugar. Do not ask me how much as it varies each time I make sweet bread. You can also add raisins. Before it goes into the oven brush the top with beaten egg to make it shiny. My Grandmother & Mother & I used to roll out dough, spread filling, nut, poppyseed, date, or raisin filling, roll jelly roll fashion and bake on a cookie sheet, because it never firt into a bread pan. My mother had bread pans thast were 18" long It was an Easter & Christmas tradition. Haven't made it in years. To Rich, my hips are big enough and I worked for many years, Now just 2 of us , no one to share it with.

    Good Luck & enjoy. Use any yeast bread recipe, just add extra sugar & eggs. Newer recipes use less of those.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

  4. #4
    Super Member retrogirl02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,745
    I'm not Polish, but I do cook a lot of traditional recipes...hope this helps http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...asterbabka.htm
    You'll have several options to choose from to tailor it to his family recipe.
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by cjr View Post
    I use recipe in old Betty Crocker cook book , add lots of extra eggs and extra sugar. Do not ask me how much as it varies each time I make sweet bread. You can also add raisins. Before it goes into the oven brush the top with beaten egg to make it shiny. My Grandmother & Mother & I used to roll out dough, spread filling, nut, poppyseed, date, or raisin filling, roll jelly roll fashion and bake on a cookie sheet, because it never firt into a bread pan. My mother had bread pans thast were 18" long It was an Easter & Christmas tradition. Haven't made it in years. To Rich, my hips are big enough and I worked for many years, Now just 2 of us , no one to share it with.

    Good Luck & enjoy. Use any yeast bread recipe, just add extra sugar & eggs. Newer recipes use less of those.
    I was just thinking about poppyseed cake this week. Have a pound of poppyseed in my freezer. But like you, just three of us now. Thought of maybe grinding it, and just using enough for 1 loaf and freezing the rest for another loaf later instead of making all 4 and freezing. That way I'm not tempted or feel I have to eat it because it is there!

    You have made my mouth water!

  6. #6
    Swap Hosts Krystyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Long Beach NY Now in Exile in Baldwin NY
    Posts
    8,337
    Blog Entries
    23
    Here's one that seems pretty close to my mother's babka.
    http://www.polish-recipes.com/recipe...a-Bread/Bread/

    And don't forget the kielbasa and kiszka! Mmmmmm!
    Krystyna
    Embrace each new day with gratitude

  7. #7
    Senior Member COYOTEMAGIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Only the Shadow Knows........
    Posts
    972
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Here's one that seems pretty close to my mother's babka.
    http://www.polish-recipes.com/recipe...a-Bread/Bread/

    And don't forget the kielbasa and kiszka! Mmmmmm!
    This is basicly the recipe my Grandmama made. The only difference is that she would roll the bread into a long log, find the center and then braid the 2 sides of the log. She would then tuck some dyed eggs into the braid and bake.

  8. #8
    Senior Member RuthEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    808
    Recipe for Polish BABKA;
    Seep 1/4 C Vodka, 1/2 Tsp Saffron Threads and 1 TBsp grated Orange Zest together for 30 minutes.
    Beat 1/2 C Butter (softened), 6 TBsp Sugar together until pale and creamy
    Put the Saffron Mixture in the bread machine pan and add 3 large Eggs and 2 TBsp Water;
    Add 3 1/2 C unbleached white bread flour, 1/2 Tsp Salt
    Make indentation in flour and add 2 Tsp Rapid - Rise Instant Dry Yeast.

    Set Bread Machine on Dough setting; Press Start.

    Let mix for 5 minutes, then add the creamed Butter and Sugar mixture.

    When the machine beeps or 5 minutes before the end of kneading cycle, add 1/2 C Raisins and 1/2 C dried Sour Cherries.

    Lightly oil a Brioche Pan. When bread is finished kneading, remove from bread machine pan and place dough on floured surface. Punch the dough down gently, and shape it into a plump ball. Place the dough in the oiled pan, cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap; and set aside in warm place for about 2 hours, or until it has risen almost to the top of the pan.

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to bake for 15 - 20 minutes more, until golden.

    Turn the Babka out onto a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, make the icing. (ICING: 1 C. Confectioners Sugar and
    1 TBsp Lemon Juice and 1 TBsp Hot Water.. Mix well, then drizzle the icing over the Babka. Sprinkle with
    Almond Slivers and Orange Zest or Candied Orange Peel to decorate.

    Enjoy!! (From The Cook's Encyclopedia of Bread Machine Baking by Jennie Shapter)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    641

    Babka.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie the "Ripper" View Post
    I would like to make the Polish bread that my husbands grandmother used to make for Easter. I think it was called Bobka. It had a lot of butter and egg yolks in it and pretty much tasted like cake. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I made Easter bread once with my grandmother. It was a rich egg dough, with lemon rind and golden raisins. My job was to pick through the raisins and find forgotten stems. I have never tried it myself, tho. I do have a "Treasured Polish Recipes" cookbook from 1949. I would be happy to look up a recipe for anyone.

    The recipe for Baba Wielkanocna - Easter Baba in this book calls for 15 egg yolks, among other things. If you want this recipe, I will be happy to send it to you.

    Proud to be Polish-American....

  10. #10
    Junior Member jean knapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    143
    Blog Entries
    1
    do you make kluschicky for christmas I have grandmas receipe let me know the whisky is the best part

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.