Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Can you freeze or can fresh potatoes?? >

Can you freeze or can fresh potatoes??

Can you freeze or can fresh potatoes??

Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I don't remember anyone successfully canning or freezing fresh potatoes dug up from the garden...is there a way you know of??? Thanks for your suggestions or recipes.
You can cut them up some and can them my neighbor cans her new or young potatoes as we call the first one that come in from the garden. She has good luck with hers every year. My brother in law also cans some if his and cans them with green beans. I know you can buy cans of green beans with new potatoes in them as we call it here in KY.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:03 AM

You can freeze fresh potatoes but as with freezing any fresh vegetable you must par boil or blanch them first. Parboil, means just until a bit less than half cooked, blanch until they loose the first blush of color in the water.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:06 AM

When I had a bumper crop of potatoes I decided to make my own french fries. I prepared them for the potato cutter that would make them into french fries, partially deep fat fried them, let them drain and cool and then bagged them up for the freezer. Then when I wanted to use them I just had to deep fat fry them a little to finish. This year its sweet potatoes. I usually clean them up, cube them, add a bit of olive oil and herbs, toss them in a bowl and layer them onto a cookie sheet to bake a little. Then let them cool and bag them up for the freezer. I never know if I'm going to use them as a potato side dish or throw them into a soup. But all the prep work is done ahead of time.

Also before I bag them up I usually lay them onto another cookie sheet and put them in the freezer to what I call fast freeze. Keeps them from accumulating as much moisture. I do this with all my veggies from the garden excluding tomatoes as they all get used as sauce or salsa.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Swap Hosts

You need to pressure can them since they are a low ph veggie. Here's a link http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_potatoes.htm
Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM

Potatoes need to be pressure canned only. Hot pack is preferred method.
Hot Pack Potatoes:
Cover clean scraped whole potatoes with boiling water, boil 10 minutes, drain. Drain anti-discoloration solution ( (1tsp salt per quart of cold water) off diced potatoes, cover with boiling water, boil 2 minutes;drain.
With whole or diced, leave 1/2 " of headroom. Add 1/2 tsp salt to pints, 1 tsp to quarts. Add boiling water leaving headroom;adjust lids. Pressure process at 10 pounds. Whole, pints for 30 minutes, quarts for 40 minutes.
dicedints 35 minutes quarts for 40 minutes. Remove jars, complete seals if necessary.
"putting food by" Ruth Hertzberg
Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM

I can & freeze potatoes all the time. I do a lot of frozen hash browns. You can go online to learn the process for doing it. Not hard at all.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Thank you everyone that has answered my question. I enjoyed your stories of your experience and the tricks of the 'trade' you have used or found the 'how' of it. With all of your encouragement, I shall try it this year. Yes, I have a pressure cooker and two cold water boiling pans to can with, so I do have the right equipment for the job....and a 'fruit pantry' to place them into. Thank you again for taking the time to share with me and others who read this section.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:10 PM

there are 2 things you can do. i do it every year, i can about 50 quarts, use the Ball book or pm me and i can give you a detailed message on how to do it; you must pre cook. GREAT fried taters! i also mix them in oil, seasonings, parmesan, and bake on a cookie sheet. fantastic every one loves favorites. we also like hash browns. boil the taters till slightly underdone. then put in fridge overnite to cool and firm. grate them, i use a larger holed grater for this, spray foil with pam, put on cookie sheets in single layer, foil, single layer, etc, and freeze them. then you can just put them in ziplocks and voila! hashbrowns when you want them!
Old 09-05-2014, 08:01 PM

I used to can potatoes when we were on the farm. I don't remember if I cooked them before canning, but I did own a pressure cooker, so I suppose I used it. They were very nice to slice into bacon grease in the frying pan. I loved the flavor.
Now I freeze mashed potatoes all the time. After a big party, there are often left over mashed potatoes. They freeze very well after they have other ingredients in them: butter, milk, sour cream and onion.
Freezing raw potatoes does not work. The ones you buy may have been blanched or something. I have tasted frozen raw potatoes, and will never do that again.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:08 AM

Where I live they grow lots of potatoes and one year I "gleaned" spuds. I had about 100 pounds so I cooked them, sliced them and put them in my dehydrator and still have 3 gallon jars of them. They are still good! I sliced them but I think I could put them in a blender after drying and make them into instant mashed spuds. I had thought about canning them but haven't done that since the other works so well. I have frozen them after cooking and they need to be heated a lot to take the grainyness out of them.
Lynda