Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cereal Munchie

Cereal Munchie

I had a recipe that used corn flakes, peanuts, and coconut. There might have been different cereals like Post Toasties, life, or something else -- not sure. This was then mixed into a cooked syrup. Does this sound familiar to anyone and do you have the recipe? Thanks for any help.

no but you can put ingredients into the search at allrecipes.com and see if they have it. oodles of cereal bar recipes there..
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

The only recipe I have that is similar is called Puppy Chow....

1/2 c (smooth) peanut butter
    1/4 c butter
    microwave for 1 min. on high

mix above with
    1 c chocolate chips
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    9 c Crispix cereal

Toss all in a paper grocery bag (or other large vessel you have) and cover with
    1 1/2 c powdered sugar

Shake to mix

Around here it's usually gone in about 30 minutes!

Here is the recipe that came to my mind when I read your post. However, it does not include peanuts or coconut. I think it sounds like a great addition so I may have to try that the next time I make them!
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    3 cups cornflakes cereal
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Bring the sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in butter and peanut butter until thoroughly mixed, and remove from heat.
    2. Place the corn flakes into a large bowl, and pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal. Mix until the corn flakes are coated with the mixture. Drop by tablespoon onto the waxed paper; flatten slightly if desired. Allow to cool before serving.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I used to have this recipe years ago and lost it. Have wished for a long time that I could find it. I love this recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by mathteacher View Post
    Here is the recipe that came to my mind when I read your post. However, it does not include peanuts or coconut. I think it sounds like a great addition so I may have to try that the next time I make them!
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    3 cups cornflakes cereal
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Bring the sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in butter and peanut butter until thoroughly mixed, and remove from heat.
    2. Place the corn flakes into a large bowl, and pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal. Mix until the corn flakes are coated with the mixture. Drop by tablespoon onto the waxed paper; flatten slightly if desired. Allow to cool before serving.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mathteacher View Post
    INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    3 cups cornflakes cereal
    DIRECTIONS:

This sounds like the recipe I use. One recipe said to boil the sugar and corn syrup for a minute or two. THAT DID NOT WORK!! It's ready after it comes to a full boil.

This was my uncle Lavel's recipe. He always made at Christmas and shared.

1 cup sugar
    1 cup white corn syrup
    1/2 cup half and half
    1 tsp vanilla
    4 cups corn flakes
    1 cup coconut
    1 cup pecans

Mix first four and cook to softball stage. Pour over remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Spread in a buttered sheet pan but dont crush flakes. Cut when cool.