Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cereal Munchie >

Cereal Munchie

Cereal Munchie

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Cereal Munchie

I had a recipe that used corn flakes, peanuts, and coconut. There might have been different cereals like Post Toasties, life, or something else -- not sure. This was then mixed into a cooked syrup. Does this sound familiar to anyone and do you have the recipe? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:53 AM

no but you can put ingredients into the search at allrecipes.com and see if they have it. oodles of cereal bar recipes there..
Old 08-23-2013, 03:18 AM

The only recipe I have that is similar is called Puppy Chow....

1/2 c (smooth) peanut butter
1/4 c butter
microwave for 1 min. on high

mix above with
1 c chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla
9 c Crispix cereal

Toss all in a paper grocery bag (or other large vessel you have) and cover with
1 1/2 c powdered sugar

Shake to mix

Around here it's usually gone in about 30 minutes!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 AM

Here is the recipe that came to my mind when I read your post. However, it does not include peanuts or coconut. I think it sounds like a great addition so I may have to try that the next time I make them!
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups cornflakes cereal
DIRECTIONS:
1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Bring the sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in butter and peanut butter until thoroughly mixed, and remove from heat.
2. Place the corn flakes into a large bowl, and pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal. Mix until the corn flakes are coated with the mixture. Drop by tablespoon onto the waxed paper; flatten slightly if desired. Allow to cool before serving.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks. I used to have this recipe years ago and lost it. Have wished for a long time that I could find it. I love this recipe.

Originally Posted by mathteacher View Post
Here is the recipe that came to my mind when I read your post. However, it does not include peanuts or coconut. I think it sounds like a great addition so I may have to try that the next time I make them!
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups cornflakes cereal
DIRECTIONS:
1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Bring the sugar and corn syrup to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat; stir in butter and peanut butter until thoroughly mixed, and remove from heat.
2. Place the corn flakes into a large bowl, and pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal. Mix until the corn flakes are coated with the mixture. Drop by tablespoon onto the waxed paper; flatten slightly if desired. Allow to cool before serving.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mathteacher View Post
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups cornflakes cereal
DIRECTIONS:

This sounds like the recipe I use. One recipe said to boil the sugar and corn syrup for a minute or two. THAT DID NOT WORK!! It's ready after it comes to a full boil.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM

This was my uncle Lavel's recipe. He always made at Christmas and shared.

1 cup sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
1/2 cup half and half
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups corn flakes
1 cup coconut
1 cup pecans

Mix first four and cook to softball stage. Pour over remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Spread in a buttered sheet pan but dont crush flakes. Cut when cool.