Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
company coming >

company coming

company coming

Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Please rethink boiling in Zip locks. They are not made for this and can leech plastics into the food. The same idea has been popular for years to cook cake mixes-I don't recommend it! If you feel the need to do this then use the special bags made for vacuum packing food and boiling in the bag.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:10 PM

Well, they have come and gone... all went super... They brought fresh caught fish... I made a roast in the crock pot.... sandwiches and brats.... homemade pizza all went well... lots of pot sal and mac sal. made homemade chicken nuggets... those were a hit... thanks again.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

How old are the kids? They should do the cooking for you for four short days.

Summer in Iowa= corn
Old 07-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
Well, they have come and gone... all went super... They brought fresh caught fish... I made a roast in the crock pot.... sandwiches and brats.... homemade pizza all went well... lots of pot sal and mac sal. made homemade chicken nuggets... those were a hit... thanks again.
Ah now you can relax and sew again! I don't know about you, but I haven't seen any fresh from the field sweet corn yet in my neck of the woods....This cool weather this week won't make it come any faster either!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 AM

we don't have any homegrown corn here yet, but all of our grocery stores have excellent corn right now... hard to resist.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 AM

I think it depends on the kids. Mine ate everything. and what they didn't like they ate the other stuff so don't fret over little things. Also, get the men to play with the kids while you and the wife prepare dinner. Gives you time away from being moms for a few moments and this is what a good visit is all about. Balance. I used to prepare the food and the kids were outside, the men half watching them lol and we would enjoy a glass of wine and take our time. BBQ if you can. its nice weather, kids always eat that and if you cook fancy foods for yourselfs you can still toss a cheeseburger on the bbq for them and everyone is happy. I would make pasta as a side dish for sure. No matter what you cook kids eat pasta. Spaghetti sauce on top (they aren't picky give them jarred) or alfredo or another nice easy pasta you have and that will fill them up in a good way. Potatos in a salad or baked and top with one of these four choice items.. great side will fill up a little one instantly. Rice but some kids are pickier just ask before they arrive what WONT they eat. narrows down what you cook instantly. Most are not excited about salad but if you serve a veggie tray with ranch.. they will eat all the carrots and maybe a few other things and adults like those also so you win win. easy you can buy it or whip it up yourself. remember if your relaxed so will everyone else be. and its your visit also so food? its not what they are coming for its the company. Food is just a bonus.. Taste of home has an entire mag this month on no bake/cook foods. I suggest either going to their site or allrecipes and finding the easiest simpliest food .. everyone wins. they eat and don't starve and you don't stress it anymore. come on over. I will show you how its done. I served dinner to a whole lot of people in my days..
Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Have a pizza day.
Have toppings in bowls in the refrigerator and then have them pat out their crust and put on their own toppings.
It's a hit with kids.