Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
company coming >

company coming

company coming

Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Default company coming

Well, not really it is my kids, but they don't come that often, so want meals to be special. They have 3 little ones that I want to entertain, so don't want to spend all my time cooking. Do you have any suggestions for me. They are staying 4 days... 3 meals a day.... so lots of ideas please...lol... Thanks.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

Lasagna is a good make ahead for an easy dinner. You can bake it in most bbq's now. There is always the hot dogs and hamburgers with watermelon for later. How about making some nice macaroni and potato salads ahead. They keep well and go a long way. Buy lots of fresh fruits and veggies and cut them up for snacks. Kids need lots of milk to help them grow so don't forget that!

I love haystacks! It is a make your own plate type meal. You cook white rice, and open a can of pintos and stewed tomatoes and heat, then you shred lettuce and cheese. Oh and a big bag of fritos corn chips.

The order you pile them on your plate is, corn chips, rice, cheese, tomatoes, beans and then the lettuce. Then you can use taco sauce or salsa.

So yummy you won't want to stop eating it.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:44 PM
BCM

I would suggest cooking some dishes you know they like and then freeze and have ready to defrost and serve. There are several restaurants in my city where I can go pick up casseroles already prepared--this is great!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Power Poster

Stroganoff is a big hit at my house. Just brown the steak strips, make a gravy with mushrooms, onions and 1-2 T. ketchup. Add a cup of sour cream just before serving. Serve over warm noodles. Add a vegetable, maybe a salad and your are set. You could have the meat cooked and gravy cooked before hand and warm up. What I like is if a meal time gets delayed it will stay warm.

Spaghetti is always good, too.

Make a lasagne ahead of time and freeze it. Thaw before baking and you are set.

Make ahead meatballs--I made 128 of them, froze them on cookie sheets and put them in zip lock bags-was easy to pan fry when family was here last week-that was enough for 30 people!!!

Try scalloped potatoes and ham--doesn't take long to cut the potatoes and add the ham and milk. Quicker still if you used frozen hash brown potatoes.

You could cook a couple of chickens ahead of time, debone them and have pulled chicken sandwiches, a chicken noodle hot dish, or chicken gravy over mashed potatoes.

You can cook a roast, refrigerate it and slice it thin for au jus sandwiches. Have a salad and you are good to go.

Let's not forget a pot roast. The night before, in a crockpot put in a frozen roast on low. In the morning add vegetables and by noon you have full meal.

Ask me how I know all this! For 10 days I had anywhere from 2 to 50 people in and out. Thank goodness siblings know how to help in the kitchen!

Most of all enjoy those little ones, S.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 PM

I would also get some pre-made pizza crusts and fixings and everyone can do their own pizza. That's always been a popular idea at my house. Also little ones like Rice Krispie bars. Another breakfast idea is yogurt parfaits. It's yogurt, fresh fruit like berries, and granola.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 PM

You all are making me hungry!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM

If the little ones are an appropriate age, try omelets in a bag.

Break egg(s) into a sprayed zip lock bag
Add omelet ingredients to taste
cheese
onions
mushrooms
bacon bits
etc., etc

Squish the air out of the bag and zip closed.

Let the kids squish everything together in the bag.

Drop bags into a pot of boiling water.

In just a couple of minutes, you will have omelets.

Little kids all seem to think it is magical. They love to add the ingredients they like and squish the bags. It's simple, fast and fun.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM

"Breakfast for dinner" is a big hit with our 'grands' when they visit. They stay for about 6 weeks in the summer, so we usually have a breakfast for dinner at least twice. It's not really any easier to prepare than any other meal, but it has a huge fun factor built in. And no one complains about the meal!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

It depends on how old the children are. Plan the adult meals you know everyone likes and then stock up on children's favourites....frozen chicken fingers, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, pizza, tacos etc.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Italian beef Sammy's
crock pot
giant pot Roast
pkg of dry Italian dressing mix
tbs or so of oregano
a few cloves minced garlic
1 can beef consume
lg onion sliced
Onion on the bottom pot roast then spices and liquid add just enough water to bind 1/2 way up the roast cof several hours on low remove from pot cool enough to shred and remove fat. Defat the broth and add beef back in. Serve on crusty rolls with provolone cheese, Peperonchins and a side of chips

Leftovers make great beef hash for breakfast or another dinner

Or strain from broth add taco seasoning for shredded beef tacos, if you have leftover taco meat it makes great machaca and eggs

Best part is easily premade and frozen

Big pot of spaghetti with garlic toast and salad

Overnight beaked French toast you mix it up night before refrigerate and bake in the morning.

Simmer whole chickens or just breasts or just thighs with favorite spices till done shred.
Now you have chicken for salads, or sandwiches or add seasoning and make chicken burritos with all the goodies
Again cand be made ahead separated out and frozen

Taco salad

Bbq hot dogs or your favorite sausages

Kids can also make mini pizza on English muffins with pizza sauce cheese and favorite toppings

Keep grapes, cherries, carrots and celery and red bell peppers washed and prepared for snacks.
Have your favorite melons or pineapple cut and refrigerated too they make great additions to meals and good fast healthy snacks.

Make a favorite cassarole and salad