Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
crock pot >

crock pot

crock pot

Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 AM

Default crock pot

I've gotten a new crock pot for Christmas! yay!

Does anyone mind sharing their favorite crock pot recipes? I know there are all kinds on Pinterest, but I'd like to start with ones I know people like. Does that make sense?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Have you done a search here under recipes?? I know there was one a few months ago that took chicken breasts with BBQ sauce and another ingredient.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes...o-t267461.html

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 01-03-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:23 AM

What cut meats do you or your family like? What size slow cooker, and is it a ceramic Crock-Pot?

Do you have to watch your sugars, carbs, dairy, glutin and so on? Pork loin and whole chicken, or whole frozen turkey breast are eazy, less prep time.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 AM

Pork roast & sauerkraut with whole potatoes!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:33 AM

I have a really yummy chicken squash chili recipe I like...I'll try to add it for you!
Slow cooker squash and chicken chili
1 T olive or coconut oil,
3 c chopped onions,
1 lb ground chix-we used chix breast,
2 T chili powder,
1 1/2 lbs butternut squash (we use 2.5 lbs) cut into 1/4" cubes,
1 jar (16 oz) salsa,
1 T minced garlic,
1 can great northern beans,
1 jar (15 oz) diced tomatoes,
1 c chix stock.
Garnish with sour cream or shredded cheese

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and chix, and saute until onions begin to soften (ready when liquid is almost totally gone in the bottom of the pan).
Add chili powder and squash and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
Pour mixture into slow cooker.
2. Add salsa, garlic, beans, tomatoes and stock. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until squash is tender.
3. To serve, ladel into serving bowls and garnish with sour cream and cheese!
We got it from one of DH's fav mags! Enjoy

Old 01-03-2016, 07:35 AM

Lately we have been cooking a pork roast in vinegar and bbq sauce. Sounds weird but it comes out oh so tender. Just put it in and pour in vinegar to halfway up the roast. I have used distilled white and apple cider at different times. Then pour over a bottle of basic bbq sauce. Cook till done. Perfect and simple.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 AM

I checked out "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" from the library several years ago and then shortly after I purchased a copy. This is the best slow cooker cookbook ever! I have never cooked a bad recipe from this book. I like that it tells you which size crock pot will work with the recipe. I use the recipes from this book to cook most of my Thanksgiving dinner (stuffing/dressing, collards, sweet potato casserole, etc). Little secret: I have 6 crockpots and just got a new one for Christmas
Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM

We love Creamy Chicken and Noodles.
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I just put them in the crock pot frozen, no need to thaw.
2 cans cream of chicken soup
42 0z. chicken broth
Put in crock pot and cook on low 5-7 hours. The time is approximate, because the cooking time depends on the crock pot. Some do cook faster. When the chicken is done, remove it and shred. Return to crock and add 1 bag frozen noodles. Let cook another hour til noodles are done. Yummy!
Serve by itself or over biscuits or mashed potatoes!
This recipe is from a Gooseberry Patch cookbook. They have some good crockpot cookbooks.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:13 AM

I have a few different sizes and do use for a few things, but i prefer cooking in the oven...low and long if necessary. I like the "roasty" look and crunch of oven cooking....crocks are too "boiled" for some things in my world....they have there place.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:47 AM

I use our crock pot mostly for turkey breasts and whole chickens. My husband loves to have real turkey sandwiches or just to eat, so we buy it a lot then I put it in the crockpot with some broth, onions, poultry seasoning, celery and sometimes a few carrots. Then let it cook for 5 hours. I use a thermometer to check for doneness. For chicken it is pretty much the same but instead of poultry seasoning, I use tarragon, garlic and white pepper and I use white wine and water with the chicken broth, the onions and celery still - but my husband likes mushrooms so I will add onions in this one. Also, I start cooking the chicken upside down and turn it over half way thru - even though the recipes tell you, you do not have to turn the meat, I usually do.

But my favorite recipe of all is the Minestrone Soup - now I can't find the one I use but there are so many recipes on-line, I believe the one I use is the one from Olive Garden, because I get that when we go there for lunch and just love it!
The recipe on line calls for it to be cooked on the stove, but I just throw it all into the crock pot and let it cook all day. An hour before we are ready to eat I put in the pasta.

I have tried cooking pot roast in the crock pot, it is okay but I have to sear it on the stove first because my crock pot does not have that feature, so I prefer my pot roasts cooked in the pressure cooker. But if I want shredded beef for burritos or tacos, I have put it in the crock pot with the appropriate spice package and onions, peppers and beef broth then left it cook for 8 to 10 hours (checking for doneness the last hour). You can do chicken that way too. But it is much faster in the pressure cooker, so don't usually do it that way anymore.

Whatever you decide to do I am confident that you will have a good result.