Thread: crock pot
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 10:47 AM
quiltingcandy

I use our crock pot mostly for turkey breasts and whole chickens. My husband loves to have real turkey sandwiches or just to eat, so we buy it a lot then I put it in the crockpot with some broth, onions, poultry seasoning, celery and sometimes a few carrots. Then let it cook for 5 hours. I use a thermometer to check for doneness. For chicken it is pretty much the same but instead of poultry seasoning, I use tarragon, garlic and white pepper and I use white wine and water with the chicken broth, the onions and celery still - but my husband likes mushrooms so I will add onions in this one. Also, I start cooking the chicken upside down and turn it over half way thru - even though the recipes tell you, you do not have to turn the meat, I usually do.

But my favorite recipe of all is the Minestrone Soup - now I can't find the one I use but there are so many recipes on-line, I believe the one I use is the one from Olive Garden, because I get that when we go there for lunch and just love it!
The recipe on line calls for it to be cooked on the stove, but I just throw it all into the crock pot and let it cook all day. An hour before we are ready to eat I put in the pasta.

I have tried cooking pot roast in the crock pot, it is okay but I have to sear it on the stove first because my crock pot does not have that feature, so I prefer my pot roasts cooked in the pressure cooker. But if I want shredded beef for burritos or tacos, I have put it in the crock pot with the appropriate spice package and onions, peppers and beef broth then left it cook for 8 to 10 hours (checking for doneness the last hour). You can do chicken that way too. But it is much faster in the pressure cooker, so don't usually do it that way anymore.

Whatever you decide to do I am confident that you will have a good result.