Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Dairy Free Dinners Anyone? >

Dairy Free Dinners Anyone?

Dairy Free Dinners Anyone?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM

I lost interest in cooking when I discovered I am diabetic and allergic to dairy products. I can get by with it in small doses but no Cream Cheese anymore. I look thru cookbooks and all are so much Campbells' soup and milk, cheese. I am totally open for non dairy meals that are appealing. Also that are from Beef, Turkey or Chicken. I am in NM (and I will not eat the stuff they call fish here) Pork is too salty. Also I am allergic to MSG in so many things. So do you see why I am discouraged with cooking? And the quicker the meal the better leaves more time to quilt. :o)
Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 PM

Get in touch with the Diabetic Association and they should be able to help you with meal planning based on your specific needs. Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM

Thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 AM

are you allergic or lactose intolerant? Because if the latter, cheese does not have any lactose (it gets used up in the cheese making process.)
Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

I am loctose intolerant, but I can eat yogurt for some reason, though I have to pop a lactaid pill first. You can use plain yogurt in place of cream or milk in lots of recipes.
A good recipe for you might be stirfry. I just gather up what veggies I have, stir fry them, cooking bigger ones first, add small stuff last,(I use olive oil to quick fry), serve on rice. (I use some soy sauce, but you mihgt have problems with that?)
Hope you find some good recipes.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:35 AM

My DS is dairy free and gluten free. When he was only dairy free, I found the BEST resource for dairy free cooking and living. It has a great list of ingredients to avoid that you can print and take to the store with you.

http://www.godairyfree.org/

They also have a cookbook with tons of information and lots of really good recipes! It is Go Dairy Free by Alisa Marie Fleming. It is worth the price and the only one I have tried that is worth owning.

You can easily convert the recipes to suit your diabetes. We also have a diabetic in the house.

Here is a great and easy recipe for dairy free cream soup. It is for mushrooms, but if you prefer cream of chicken, just replace the mushrooms with chunks of cooked chicken.

http://mustfollowrecipes.blogspot.co...room-soup.html

You can also buy Better than Cream Cheese by Tofutti. You can also buy soy yogurt or coconut milk yogurt. There are also several cheeses available made from soy or rice milk.

Dairy free isn't really so hard. Once you get the dairy out of your system, you will feel so much better! There are tons of resources on the internet just google "dairy free recipes" or "dairy free lifestyle".

Remember, at the store, foods marked Vegan are dairy free, as are foods marked Kosher Parve (or Kosher with a P in a circle).
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM

Use water rather milk in Campbell cream soups. I never use milk with cream soups.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 AM

You could also use chicken or beef broth instead of milk, with condensed soups. Or make up homemade stock and freeze in small containers. Remove when frozen and store in a plastic bag.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM

I am both I am told. I have been intollerant for years but now I am told I am also allergic. I do not tollerage cheese well at all. Cream Cheese is the worst on me. I was using a soy yogurt and then they stopped selling it. Now all there is at a health food store is coconut milk yogurt it is good but almost $3 a container.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM

I can't use the soups due to the canned milk in them.