Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Dairy Free Dinners Anyone? >

Dairy Free Dinners Anyone?

Dairy Free Dinners Anyone?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks so much everyone oatw13 I will look at those sites asap and look at the cook book I may find it used online. I appreciate all the help I can get.

One thing I tried was to use canned cocoanut milk for evaporated milk and so I can make homemade cr of potato soup and it is way better than with half and half.
thanks again, Alamoaa
Old 03-18-2011, 11:28 AM

Wow that soup sounds wonderful and can probably make it into cr of celery, cr of ck etc....I looked over some of the recipes at the blog and want to get busy making some of the for dinner tonight. Gotta run to the store and I am ordering a used cookbook you mentioned. Thanks Ever So Much this helps a ton, Alamoaa
Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 AM

Try substituting plain, unsweetened soy milk for anything you'd use milk for. (Note: I once accidently used vanilla flavored in soup....let's just say that you don't want to do that!!!!) I can't stand the taste to drink a glass of it, but use it all the time for everything else. There are some great soy cheeses out---I have a smoked provolone favorite that comes sliced and wrapped like American cheese that I love---and also the soy ice creams are really good when you're craving a treat.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 AM

My three favorite websites for recipes:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
http://www.affairsofliving.com/
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Between those three websites, I rarely wish I could eat dairy.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks for this as well. I have to limit soy too. But I do use vanilla soy milk for cereal. And for cooking I found I like the cocoanut milk best. I love it in the cream of potato soups I make. Thanks for the help, AlamoAA
Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Thank you I looked over the sites and found several to choose from and will keep the addresses in a file. i am going to send the vegan one to my son that is totally vegan he may find something new there too. Thanks, Alamoaa
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Because of being allergic to milk many years ago I started using chicken broth to make scallop potatoes. I still do it this way and everyone likes them.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:44 PM

I am lactose intolerant, which is a bit easier. But in recipes that call for milk you can use rice milk, coconut milk, oat milk or soy. Cheese is a little more difficult, but I have tracked down a parmesan substitute, over here in the UK. We are always far behind you in these matters. Do you have Free From aisles in the supermarkets? I find lots of things there that I can use instead.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlamoAA
I lost interest in cooking when I discovered I am diabetic and allergic to dairy products. I can get by with it in small doses but no Cream Cheese anymore. I look thru cookbooks and all are so much Campbells' soup and milk, cheese. I am totally open for non dairy meals that are appealing. Also that are from Beef, Turkey or Chicken. I am in NM (and I will not eat the stuff they call fish here) Pork is too salty. Also I am allergic to MSG in so many things. So do you see why I am discouraged with cooking? And the quicker the meal the better leaves more time to quilt. :o)
Forget tins, make your own soups, roasted tomato, Nigel Slater's calabrese, cabbage soup,pumpkin/squash, carrot and apple soup.

Mains--cottage and shepherds pie---lots of recipes with minced/ground beef, meatballs in tomatoes, usual roasts and casseroles, a pity you can;t get decent fish ,what about frozen ,then the recipes are endless.