Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Ding Dong Cake >

Ding Dong Cake

Ding Dong Cake

Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM

Haven't found the whoopie pie recipe yet, but here is the ding dong cake recipe. This is an awesome cake and people will ask you "which bakery did you get this from?" It is basically a chocolate refrigerator cake and will melt quickly if you live in a warm climate so keep refrigerated. If you don't have a springform pan, I would suggest a Bundt pan or reg. cake pans will do. I did not follow the recipe with cutting the top off or poking holes in the top like suggested, but I simply made this like a torte and frosted each layer without having to do like the recipe says. I used 3 round cake pans. It's better after it sits for 3 hours. Refrigerate it while you make the icing. It's easy but the glaze is the hardest part. Keep at it until you cover the cake completely with glaze.

One woman took this cake to work and people wanted to pay her to make it for them!! Another woman made this cake 3 times in 10 days!!! That should be enough clues for now. I'll let you be the judge. I did spend 3 hours making it but it was well worth it!! Also, this recipe I find comes closer to the real thing than any I've found so far.

Ding Dong Cake
yield: 1 10-inch cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup shortening
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 1/4 tablespoons water
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch springform pan.
In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix and instant pudding. Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, oil and water. Mix until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on a wire rack before removing from pan.
Slice a 1 inch thick slice off of the top of the cake and set aside. Scoop out the cake for the center of the bottom part to within 1 inch of the sides. Discard or save for another use. To make the filling, whisk together the flour and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Set aside to cool completely.
Once the flour and milk mixture has cooled, beat the 1/2 cup shortening, butter, sugar and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Add the milk mixture and continue to beat for 4 more minutes. Spoon into the center of the cake and replace the layer sliced from the top.
Combine the chocolate chips, 1/4 cup shortening, corn syrup and water in the top of a double boiler. Heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Pour warm glaze over the top of the cake and smooth over the sides. Refrigerate until serving.

Bon Appetite!! :-D
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Looking for whoopie Pie - here is the link and the history of the pie
whatscookingamerica.net/History/WhoopiePieHistory.htm
Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by scrap quilter
Looking for whoopie Pie - here is the link and the history of the pie
whatscookingamerica.net/History/WhoopiePieHistory.htm
Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. Yes, there are thousands of whoopie pie recipes but I lost my computer copies first when we restored my computer and then I lost my hard copies with all my notes of which ones I tried, etc. which ones were the best, which ones had the best fluff, which ones had the best cake etc so................am sad I cannot find the hard copies. It was lots of research and experimenting down the drain. Will just start over again or try to find the recipes; someone on here wanted them.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:04 PM

My whoopie pie is completely different. Must be a coastal thing, W vs E. the recipe I have is more like a pie as opposed to a filled cake.

Gotta admit, the pictures from the site look pretty darn good!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 AM

I think it's a state-by-state thing with the whoopie pies. Do remember the state of Ohio calls them by another name entirely and areas of the country they are prepared differently. Most are hand-held little cakes with creme in the middle that are out of this world!! Try them at least once - it'll become a tradition at your house for sure!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:27 AM

Whoopie pies are also called Chocolate Gobs, at least here in Pittsburgh. However, only about an hour away, the Amish call them Whoopie Pies. They are 3-4" mounds of chocolate cake (like large soft, puffy cookies) put together in pairs with a fluffy, marshmallowy filling. Never tasted one I didn't like! As previously stated by other posters, there are lots and lots of recipes online.

I've also seen them made from vanilla (yellow)cake, spice cake and pumpkin cake (popular at Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc.)
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Whoopie pies are also called Chocolate Gobs, at least here in Pittsburgh. However, only about an hour away, the Amish call them Whoopie Pies. They are 3-4" mounds of chocolate cake (like large soft, puffy cookies) put together in pairs with a fluffy, marshmallowy filling. Never tasted one I didn't like! As previously stated by other posters, there are lots and lots of recipes online.

I've also seen them made from vanilla (yellow)cake, spice cake and pumpkin cake (popular at Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc.)
Yes, I've heard of Chocolate Gobs and the Amish are famous for their version which is the one I use. These undoubtedly are the best to keep on hand for company, children or GC love them! They are out of this world no matter which state in our country you buy them in!!

:-D :-D
Old 04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the recipe
Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
thanks for the recipe
your welcome!!

;) ;)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM

I make what is called a Ho-Ho cake in a 9x13 pan that is very similar. The top layer is a container of ready-made chocolate frosting that is "melted" in the microwave for 40 seconds. It pours right out of the container and would probably work well for your ding-dong cake. I'm gonna try this recipe for sure!

Sue