Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't use the wrong oranges for marmalade!

Muv

Don't use the wrong oranges for marmalade!

If you have watched my Youtube video showing how to make marmalade and want to have a go, make sure you use Seville oranges. Please read these two threads, and all the links, for information about oranges.

Muv's marmalade tutorial - special for Paddington fans

Tell me about oranges please...

Also look at this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_orange

From what I gather, you are more likely to be able to get Seville oranges in Canada than in the USA.

Don't let this stop you watching the video, because the next recipe I intend to put on Youtube will be a red grapefruit marmalade - the method is very similar, and you will have no trouble getting hold of the right fruit!

Blog Entries
    What is your opinion of using kumquats instead of Sevilles? In California they are fairly easy to obtain.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Muv
    Hello Murphy1,
    I knew I would get interesting replies from California or Florida.
    I've never eaten kumquats. They are sold in tiny little punnets here and are outrageously expensive. I've just looked them up on wikipedia and am intrigued. Do you get the round ones or the oval ones, and are they sweet skinned with a sour middle?

Blog Entries
    Mine are oval and they are very sour but do have a sweet skin. When I was a kid I use to eat the peel and leave the fruit. I have such fond memories of them that I bought one a few years ago and put it in a small orange pot. I now just go out and pop them in my mouth when they are ripe, and do eat the whole fruit not just the skin.

Nancy aka Murphy1
    Quote Originally Posted by Muv View Post
    Hello Murphy1,
    I knew I would get interesting replies from California or Florida.
    I've never eaten kumquats. They are sold in tiny little punnets here and are outrageously expensive. I've just looked them up on wikipedia and am intrigued. Do you get the round ones or the oval ones, and are they sweet skinned with a sour middle?
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

My mom says the same thing about an orange pie recipe she had from Florida, the oranges we get here do not work.

most of the other recipes on yutube call for the addition of lemons..i wonder do they contain more pectin?

Muv
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    most of the other recipes on yutube call for the addition of lemons..i wonder do they contain more pectin?
    Marmalade recipes are all about balance, getting the amounts of acid, pectin, sugar and liquid just right.
    Seville oranges are high in pectin and very bitter, so you only need one lemon to about 2lbs of oranges. With sweet oranges you need more lemons for both the pectin and the acid.

You have got my cogs whirring, ladies! I made a batch of marmalade last night using white grapefruit and will be trying it on toast this morning. If it passes the test it will be going on Youtube fairly soon.

I haven't seen your videos or anything yet but just wanted to throw in a bit of info. I haven't made orange marmalade in years - I use tangerines. Have you ever tried them? Yum. Might be something you'd like to play with. I like the idea of the grapefruits being used.

forget the white grapefruit, go with Ruby Reds. yum. A Fl native. now living elsewhere.

These sound like the oranges that grow in everyone's yard in South Texas. They look so pretty and smell really good,but when you open one to taste,,ugh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast