Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Duritos? Duros?

Blog Entries

Duritos? Duros?

I have seen these little orange wheels in the grocery store for years but never really knew what they were. I bought some today after seeing a foodnetwork show. Wow! They are delicious. Put some oil in a skillet and drop them in. When the float to the top and turn brown they are done. About five seconds. You can't put them in the oil one at a time, the first ones will burn before you get it out. I put a handfull in at one time. A little salt or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. And the best part? The produce bag I filled up cost me $.78 cents. I used safflower oil but any oil you use to fry is okay. Google says:
    Mexicansnack foodmade of puffed wheat, often flavored with chilli and lime.[1]
    Got fabric?

you dont have to put them in fat at least not the ones i have you can make them puff up in the microwave. DH whont eat them cause he says they are made out off pig skin dont know if its true any more but he sayes when he was a kid in mexico they were made out off pig skin.

Blog Entries
    I Googled and the authenic ones were always made of wheat to form a hard pasta thus the name Duro. DH thought they were good for a different snack.
    Got fabric?

kso
    Quote Originally Posted by lindy-2 View Post
    you dont have to put them in fat at least not the ones i have you can make them puff up in the microwave. DH whont eat them cause he says they are made out off pig skin dont know if its true any more but he sayes when he was a kid in mexico they were made out off pig skin.
    Maybe has them confused with chicharones?
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Blog Entries
    My aunt and uncle would bring them back from Mexico. My kids call them "wagon wheels". I fry them in oil. We love them sprinkled with seasoned salt or cinnamon and sugar.

Where do u find these in the store? I never saw them before........Michele

I used to see these in a bulk barrell in the produce section, but I never see them anymore. I'll have to check the Hispanic foods aisle to see if they come prepackaged. I've always wanted to make them, but I don't like frying things. I'll have to try the microwave trick if I find some.
    QMFAO

I don't fry either, so if I find them I would try the microwave also. I am on WW so have to watch those calories,lol.....Thanks for your help, Michele

Never seen or heard of em! Sounds good tho!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    My dog love them plain for a treat. LOL. Many dogs have a wheat allergy so I would't suggest these if you don't know.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast