Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sloppy Joe Recipe

Favorite Sloppy Joe Recipe

Looking for a quick sloppy joe recipe. There are hundred's out there, but I don't have the time to try them all. What's your favorite sloppy joe recipe?
    If you choose the behavior, you accept the consequences...Dr. Phil

Mine is what I grew up with. No measurements so its just by taste. Brown ground beef seasoned with garlic, salt & pepper. Drain any grease off. Now dump ketchup and yellow mustard in it. Stir it up adding more of both until its the consistency you want. I don't like mine soupy- I like it to stick to the bun- not fall off. I add cayenne pepper when I get ketchup mustard ratio right.
    I also do mass quantity cooking (200-250) for lunches when my husband & I do volunteer work. When we have sloppy joes this is my recipe. We NEVER get anything but compliments. Give it a try!

mem
    I like Pioneer Woman's recipe

mem
    Well, for some reason my reply dropped the link to Pioneer Woman's recipe. Here it is
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

Just in case you might want something a little different ....

My aunt called these 'Western burgers'.

Brown ground beef like you were making sloppy joes, drain the oil.

Now the different part

Add cubes of Velveta cheese. Just keep adding until all the beef is coated to your taste (similar to the amount of 'sloppy' you like in your sloppy joe). Now add sliced black olives.

That's it.

We used to make a big pot full, fill the buns and wrap them in foil and freeze them. Then just pop the whole thing in the oven to warm - bun gets nice and toasty.

Hmmm ... want to make a big pot now.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I brown some hamburger and some chopped up onion. Then I add a small can of tomato sauce with a spoon full of brown sugar mixed in. Then I put a little vinegar in the can and swish it around and add that. Then I add some ketchup and mustard - a good squirt each. Some times I add a quarter to half cup of quick oats. Cook it a little while. We put it on buns or on rice.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

If you're looking for quick and easy, filling and flavorful, try this recipe, it's my families favorite

Fry 1 lb. hamburger with a small chopped onion so hamburger is done and at a fine consistancy
    Add 2 Tbsp. mustard
    1 can chicken gumbo soup
    1/2 Tsp. soy sauce
    1/4 cup catsup (+ to taste)
    salt and pepper
    Simmer at least 20 minutes

Everyone I make this for loves it, although I'm not a big BBQ fan.

1/2 cup onion
    3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup catsup
    2 Tablespoons vinegar
    4 Tablespoons lemon juice
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 Tablespoon dry mustard
    1/2 cup water
    Brown meat and drain. Add other ingredients. Simmer 15-20 minutes covered. Serve on hamburger rolls. If you like it a little spicier you can add just a shake of bottled BBQ sauce.

My barbecue sauce is made with the same ingredients as your recipe, Quilt Till Y Wilt. I always have a bowl of it in my refrigerate. So I just fry the hamburger with more onion and add the sauce until I get the consistency I want. Some times I just make sloppy joes with a can of mushroom soup after frying the meat and onion.

I use a recipe similar to the ioneer women except use chili sauce instead of ketchup.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast