Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gifts from the Kitchen? >

Gifts from the Kitchen?

Gifts from the Kitchen?

Old 08-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Golfergal View Post
I make Bread in a Jar & give it as gifts . The recipe makes 8 jars at a time & it keeps up to a year so it is something they do not have to eat right away. I also make homemade laundry soap & this is can be put in a container & given as a gift along with the recipe & how to use it. Snack mix is another idea to make & give.
? This inquiring mind would like to know how you make bread in a jar ?

Concerning postage of Christmas gifts, I try to look at it that is cheaper than traveling to deliver your gifts and paying for gas, lodging, etc. It is just once a year.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Minnesewta-sam View Post
I make microwave peanut brittle. Everybody loves it and it's easy.

Would love to know how you make microwave peanut brittle?

Here is a recipe for Microwave Easy Fudge. I have made it a few times and it is delicious!!!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...e-fudge-recipe
Old 08-16-2014, 08:19 AM

I have made "Cake-In-A-Jar" and sent in care packages to the troops. Always get great reviews. Google cake in a jar, there are hundreds of recipes. Yes, you bake and seal them in a mason jar. I try and get those can cozies thru out the year and wrap them around the cake first, then anything else in the box that's going, then stuff hard candies into every crook and cranny so nothing can move. Of course I always ship in the military Flat Rate boxes from the Post Office. It's amazing how much I can get in there. My heaviest was 33 pounds!!
Old 08-16-2014, 08:23 AM

I do quick breads and instant spiced tea.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Gooey Baby Ruth Brownies

1 (18.25 ounce) box chocolate brownie mix
3 (2.1 ounce) Nestle Baby Ruth Candy Bars, chopped
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons milk

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

Prepare brownie batter according to package directions. Stir in chopped Baby Ruth. Pour into prepared pan.

Beat cream cheese and sugar in small mixer bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and milk. Using knife or spatula, swirl cream cheese mixture into brownie batter to create a marbling effect. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars using a wet knife.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:38 AM

Since family is all grown and live away and not interested in exchanging gifts, I have 'adopted' a QB group FWSQ and PC group that I did those projects with...and sent each of the 12 (15) families to send cookies or quilting things to for the winter holidays. Non-food items went to Canada, Netherlands, and Australia last year. Yes, the shipping costs a few $$, but it is worth it to me once a year to express my joy of our friendship. Can you really put a dollar value on friendship?? I love to cook and share the bounty of four or five different kinds of cookies in quart plastic bags. Buffalo chips, and Cowboy Chocolate cookies remain the favorites... both from the Texas Reporter Cook Book.

Of course, being retired we have a small budget to live on, but I save up for the holidays, to enjoy and spread the cheer to others...with respect for the way each celebrate the days. I use the six by six cardboard packaging and have gotten rave reviews in feedback.

We usually receive a fruit basket from email friends in Texas and brighten up our holidays. I also make homemade jellies and share it with them and others during the season. Never have met the couple in Texas who sent the fruit to us, but hold them dear in our hearts. Never have meet my QB group in person, except for one this summer, but I hold their friendship dear in my heart...but value and respect their views.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I like those mix in a jar gifts. All the dry ingredients layered and recipe of what to do with it ...top it off with a pretty fabric on top
Old 08-16-2014, 04:35 PM

My family loves fudge and banana bread. Of course, they will eat just about anything.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:48 PM

My "tried and true" recipe is the marshmallow creme fudge recipe off the jar of marshmallow creme. People love it and when they ask for the recipe I tell them where to find it....and they usually don't believe me. They think it's a secret recipe of some sort. I also have a recipe for shortbread bar cookies that I love to make; my secret ingredients are vanilla extract (it doesn't call for any flavoring) and a few dashes of orange extract, which I prefer to lemon.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:14 PM

I make them, like cookie ingredients in jars, etc., but I love getting edible gifts as well.