Nuts n Bolts are always a good gift to give and easy to make
Old 08-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
My Moms Fudge

1 large can pet milk
5 cups sugar
1tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
36 oz high quality chocolate chips semi sweet or dark chocolate depending on your taste
1 jar (16oz )marshmallow whip
1/3 lb butter
I've tried it and let's just say it ended before it started! *lol*

I tried to make my own marshmallow whip and it reeaally didn't work out! I didn't use the recipe I posted before FYI, because I don't have corn syrup here either. It ended up being very liquid, so I put it in the fridge in the hope it would set.

Nope, no such thing happened! It separated, white fluff on top, yellow-y liquid at the bottom...

But I won't give up, I hope to try again this weekend, this time I'll just try it with melted marshmallows...can't get much worse, right?!

Last edited by Cathy77; 08-21-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cathy77 View Post
I've tried it and let's just say it ended before it started! *lol*

I tried to make my own marshmallow whip and it reeaally didn't work out! I didn't use the recipe I posted before FYI, because I don't have corn syrup here either. It ended up being very liquid, so I put it in the fridge in the hope it would set.

Nope, no such thing happened! It separated, white fluff on top, yellow-y liquid at the bottom...

But I won't give up, I hope to try again this weekend, this time I'll just try it with melted marshmallows...can't get much worse, right?!
I love your preservance,

Instead of melting the marshmallows I would just use the big ones 12-16 oz bag of them heat them up just to where they are just expanding then stir them in. Good luck I hope it works
Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM

Very similar to recipe on Marshmallow 'fluff' jar or that puff"?. The milk and sugar are put on with the butter, and brought to a boil, and soft candy stage, 240 degrees on a candy thermometer , then stir in the vanilla, chips and marshmallows and quickly whip until the candy is not longer 'shinny' looking...put into plate or pan to get hard. You can change out the chips for other flavors, e.i, butterscotch, peanut butter, vanilla....
Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 AM

I always gve bread in a jar, jams and jellies for Chrstmas.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:50 AM

Jams and jellys and syrups are first. I make candied pecans for instant gifts takes about 20 minutes tops. Also I make a jar of taco seasoning (ala ALL RECIPES.com) a simple mix of spices put in a jar with instructions on how much to use great for people who like making tacos. You could put it in a small amount in a small plastic sleeve from the craft store tied with ribbon for a quick easy gift or a bigger jar of it for someone special. If you buy spices from Penzies spice house you could just cover the top of a spice with a recipe on a card.. bing great gift who doesn't love FRESH spices that last for moons? a spice mix of your chosing with a recipe you love making you will be a hit surely
Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 AM

I made microwave peanut brittle one year, and lost the recipe. Could you, pretty please, give us the recipe??
Old 09-03-2014, 04:58 AM

Last Christmas, I made hot fudge sauce (from old Betty Crocker cookbook) and Silk in a Jar (caramel sauce from the Land o' Lakes website. Put them in cute modern Ball jars (available now at places like WalMart). Something a little different and well-received. I had thought of what to do this year, but have forgotten already!!! Grrrr.... Once year, I made herby dip mixes included with a cute mitten dish and spreader I found at Big Lots. Thanks for all the great ideas here. Gotta get going...'you know what' will be here before we know it!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:49 AM

I love to give and receive home made gifts. This year I am making 'marinated red peppers' in small jars! so pretty