Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gluten free recipes Please... >

Gluten free recipes Please...

Gluten free recipes Please...

Old 06-22-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Odd that all gluten intolerant I know are females.
I have heard that they are looking at the possible connection between eating disorders and gluten intolerance... Perhaps that is why it seems that more females are diagnosed as celiacs ...

Quiltlady, your dedication to your daughter's nutrition is wonderful! Goodluck in your quest to cook differently.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:59 PM

If you have an IKEA close by a lot of their frozen desserts are gluten free and not expensive.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 PM

Unless you eat a lot of pasta, most regular dinners can be made GF easily. Use Sweet rice flour when making a roux for gravy, cheese sauce or cream soups.

Thai food for the most part in GF as is most Indian food, if you are looking for dining out options.

GF products are expensive, because the flours cost wholesale 3-5 times more than regular flour. A bakery has to be completely GF to be safe for celiacs, you cannot just bake one day, as the regular flour gets everywhere. (I work in a commercial bakery and have found flour in the strangest places.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by grandmaemma View Post
Look up recipe for Cloud Bread. Easy, light and fluffy
Just printed out the recipe to try tomorrow, thank you for sharing the name.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:06 PM

just made this yesterday. I already had Spatti sauce made. I cut up 2 small squash. Long length. Alternate the squash and sauce. I covered it with wax paper and then plastic wrap. 60% power and cooked 20 mins. Set for 3 mins. YUM!!!
Old 06-22-2016, 06:42 PM

OH Thank you ladies for all the info on Gluten free eating.. I have been going crazy trying to make different thing for her and it is so hard.. I made some cookies that were terrible! and went in the trash...so much money wasted. My daughter has Cieliac decease and can't eat anything gluten, what I didn't know was that you could contaminate a jar of peanut butter by just putting the knife in the jar after spreading on regular bread, so many things to learn, but with everyones help on this forum and other places I'll get there. It is just so hard to have to start cooking and baking different after 60 years.. Thanks again for all your help..
Old 06-22-2016, 07:45 PM

I currently have a mini roomie who is allergic to soy and gluten. We have been using jasmine rice, cabbage, sweet potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables in our casseroles. The kids love it, and bonus, we are all losing weight. Best soups/meals we have tried lately was " stuffed pepper soup" and "sausage and cabbage casserole", and "stuffed cabbage casserole". Filling and satisfying. Think outside the box instead of expensive. Check with your county extension agent for other ideas, and also no soy, no gluten websites. Instead of bread, we use non-gluten corn tortillas for "sandwiches". Also rice 'tortillas' for roll ups. I can't remember the name of them but we buy them in an Asian grocery. Garden rolls are made with them in Viet Namese restaurants.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 PM

I have been cooking gluten free and dairy free for over 30 years. It is a pain but I often make 2 meals. One for me and the kids and one for my DH.
I have a ton of recipes...I use cornstarch to thicken my turkey gravy at Thanksgiving. Make a fantastic ham and potato soup. FINALLY found a recipe for gluten free bread that I even like.
IF interested in recipes, PM me and I can copy and snail mail them on to you. It is a whole lot easier now to cook gluten free than it was 30 years ago...believe me!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:58 PM

Try the Namaste Flour mix website for recipes. Costco is now selling gluten free baking mixes. I've tried some of the gluten free or wheat free loaves of bread from the health food store, and to me they taste like plaster mixed with sand. My stepson has celiac disease, diagnosed when the doctors only talked about wheat as a culprit. I have baked bread from some of the recipes in wheat free cookbooks, and he said he liked it. He does a good job of managing his diet.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:46 AM

Walmart has an ever expanding selection of gluten free products. Check out King Arthur Flour's website. I follow a blog called The Iron You. All his recipes seem to be gluten free. I have a granddaughter who,cannot consume gluten. I use all my old favorite cake and cookie recipes using gluten free flour, BUT I do add Xanthen Gum powder. It can be found at King Arthur Flour. We cannot tell the difference in the final product. I have never tried gluten free bread. Good luck.