Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Gluten free recipes Please... >

Gluten free recipes Please...

Gluten free recipes Please...

Old 06-23-2016, 09:44 AM

When I was doing elimination diets, I was gluten free for 6 months. It turned out not to be my problem, but I tested a lot of flours and pastas. Never did find a good bread I liked, but I found a fabulous Oatmeal/Peanut butter/chocolate chip cookie recipe that is wonderful. I still make it! I like Bob's Red Mill flours, you can buy on the web if you can't find locally, I also made my own almond flour. Try www.glutenfreegobsmacked.com and good luck!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 AM

After going on an elimination food plan for lots of foods, I didn't reintroduce gluten or wheat products back into diet. Went to dietician who helped with meal planning.

GF Pancakes- 1/2 cup Rolled oats, 1/2 cup cottage cheese*, 2 eggs, dash of vanilla extract, one ripe banana, dash of cinnamon Throw all in blender and cook in coconut oil or butter. Serve with real maple syrup with 2 TBSP of toasted pecans sprinkled on top. This is just one serving.

* I use Lactaid cottage cheese- lactose free- purchase mine at Walmart. If banana is ripe, you won't need much syrup as the pancakes are sweet enough. AND they don't absorb the syrup like a regular pancake anyway. My DH even eats these without much fuss.

Cheese grits are gluten free. Cracker Barrel has them on menu.

I keep frozen GF bread in freezer but only eat about 2 slices a week. Udi's is the only brand that I find palatable.

If you can get them, Milton's Baking Company's GF Sea Salt Crackers. My Costco used to carry them but no more. I get them at Walmart Online. They are the only GF cracker that I find tastes decent and is crispy- not full of seeds and such.

Vegetable beef soup is one of my go to things. First thing in morning- early- I roast beef bones (whole foods has them in frozen meat area) for about 40 min. at 400 degrees, turning at 20 minutes. The smell alone with make you crazy. Then I throw them in crockpot with water depending on # of bones. Let cook 12 hours- cool and refrigerate overnight. By this time, the health benefits of the bones are cooked out in broth. Next day put broth in crockpot and add canned or fresh tomatoes, onions, seasonings and in afternoon add seared beef cubes or shredded roast beef and frozen veggies or your choice of fresh veggies as well as cubed yellow potatoes and cook for an hour or so longer. Season and a great GF meal. It is a long process but worth the effort and advanced planning. I freeze leftovers for last minute meals.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Go to glutenfreeandmore.com They have a news letter they send out every day with a different recipe every day. If you can buy Franz bread, it is the best & they also have Hamburger & Hot dog buns along with muffins. I get my DH's at the Franz outlet store & is much cheep er there. $4.99 verses $7.49 else wear. You have to check for warning signs on most GF products as they can be processed in the same factories as wheat products. If this warning is on the product, it will be cross contaminated. True celiac people will be affected by this cross contamination. My DH has it also & fixing regular toast (for example) on the counter & fixing his on the same counter without washing the spot first will make him deathly ill. Same with butter & mayo. I use a spoon to dip out of these for myself & never ever dip it back in or you will contaminate. I just run onto a pasta that tastes & has the texture like the original. It is imported from Italy. No brand name on it, but is made with corn & rice. I have only found it at the Grocery out let store. It is also dairy free.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:58 PM

Go to www.glutenfreeandmore.com----Search for "gluten-free, dairy-free Champion Sandwich Bread".
If you have a stand mixer, it is a breeze to make and my DH loves it. Uses it for sandwiches whenever I make it.
Also, I buy SPINACH WRAPS at the supermarket deli that are gluten free--they have opened up a whole new world for DH. No more styrofoam rice cakes..
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Our little Great Granddaughter was diagnosed with celiac disease shortly after being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, about age 4. They were told to feed her gluten free foods as the gluten would destroy her intestines. Her Mother is so self centered we doubt she is getting proper foods. The girl is now 7 and she knows what foods she can eat. She has an insulin pump and already been hospitalized a couple of times because her insulin levels were too high.
Some people use gluten free to help lose weight. I suppose this causes the prices to soar for people that really need those foods.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 AM

I have a gluten sensitivity and can't have gluten. I use a website called Celiac.com. It has a wealth of information including a recipe section. I don't bake so I haven't tried that. Other recipes can often be adjust to gluten free just by substituting gluten free or the regular like using bread crumbs instead of regular. I do that often in order to be able to use my favorite recipes. Also if you use sites like allrecipes.com. You can put in gluten free and get a lot of hits.

In learning what is gluten free, google is your friend. I use very few processed foods, but when I want to I google to find out what brands are gluten free. Reading labels is also essential. Gluten can be called lots of things. There's info on how to do that on Celiac.com

Whether doctors want to believe it or not, gluten sensitivity is real. You may not have full blown celiacs, but you can be sensitive to gluten. If you continue to eat it, you put yourself in danger of developing celiacs and many other intestinal problems like leaky gut syndrome. Getting started with gluten free is hard, but once you get the hang of it, it's not bad and really a healthy way to eat without processed foods. Good luck and just pm me if you need help. I've been doing this for a year now and have things pretty much under control.