Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Have you borned food into the bottom of your favorite pan and wonder >

Have you borned food into the bottom of your favorite pan and wonder

Have you borned food into the bottom of your favorite pan and wonder

Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Default Have you borned food into the bottom of your favorite pan and wonder

how you can every get it clean again? (Its not borned, its burned!! sorry!) Ok, I get distracted at the wrong time or leave the kitchen instead of standing over the stove and the food goes dry and burns in the pan. Grans used to always put it into cold water in the sink, and that helps, but it does not clean the inside of the burnt stuff. Use one Tablespoon of baking soda, one Tablespoon of vinegar, and one Tablespoon of Dawn, and 1-2 cups of water into the pan, put it back on the stove and bring it to a boil for about three to four minutes. Be careful 'cause it will be hot, turn off the burner and remove from the stove. Using a long handled spoon or whatever, shrub off the blackened bottom into the sink or a wad of paper towels.

It softens up all the black stuff and cleans out the pots, so they can be used again! Wished I had learned this tip years ago. Good Luck with yours.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM

Works like a charm! I learned this from a lady that cooked at Reader' Digest for 19 years. Great tip. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

I just hit with water and squirt a little Dawn into it. It's the last thing I wash and usually not a problem. If it's cast iron, I heat it up and use a metal spatula and scrape. sometimes put a little oil to help loosen the burnt on then after cleaning really well, re season.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:42 AM

my pans are beyond help. still use them.on the bottom is worse. inside not to bad.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:07 AM

Try using drier sheets with hot water
Also, I use I package of automatic dishwasher soap, hottest water, and soak overnight
A new product, Dawn Power Clean, works well.
Good luck.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 AM

I like Dawn Power Clean as well...I've recommended this product to several people. If I ever have that totally burned mess again, it's good to know I can try the baking soda and vinegar with it as well.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:03 AM

If you will take any kind of automatic dishwasher soap and squirt quite a bit into the pan and put some water with it and boil it on your stovetop for a while, it will come right out. I cleaned all my stove burner pans on my electric stove with this method and what doesn't come off can usually be removed easily with Brillo pads. My burner pans always looked like new after cleaning. I have done a number of cooking pots with this method and they are just like before nice and shiny. Of course you can't use Brillo on non-stick, but there are scratcher pads out there for non stick pans and they work well too. If you have copper bottom pans squirt some catsup on the bottom rub around and leave on for 5 minutes or so and then wash off using brillo pads and they shine like new. Cheap way to clean those bottoms! If you have some stubborn spots, repeat the treatment and scrub a little harder with the Brillo pad. There is something in the soap in the Brillo pads that helps clean copper bottoms too.

themachinelady
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 AM

I've always just used dishwasher detergent (not dish soap) and let it soak overnight. No excessive rubbing/scrubbing.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:41 AM

My pots and pans are stainless steel. I add hot water when I am done cooking while the pan is still warm. For stubborn cooked on food like on my baking pans I fill them up with hot water and add salt and let it soak till the water cools.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 AM

I have had two Vollrath stainless steel jelly roll pans for decades. Yesterday, I forgot to use parchment paper under the pizzas. I made a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide which cleaned off the burned on greasy stains easily. I figure the like-new pans are ready for the next three decades!