Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Help!  Looking For A Lost Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe >

Help! Looking For A Lost Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe

Help! Looking For A Lost Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe

Old 11-07-2014, 10:45 AM

Default Help! Looking For A Lost Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe

Years (and years) ago I bought a Rival crock pot that came with a small recipe book. In it was a recipe for beef stew. You coated the meat in flour and browned it first before putting it in the pot, then added some water to the pan and scraped together all the bits left in the pan and added them to the pot, along with vegetables (I don't think potatoes were included), canned tomatoes and a bay leaf.

My DH loved that stew and I have lost the recipe. Sound familiar to anyone? I'd love to have it if you've got it.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:18 AM

I have my old Rival Crockpot recipe book (30 years old) but didn't find exactly what you described. Two options are 1) beef stew but it doesn't include tomatoes and does have potatoes 2) Hungarian Goulash does have tomatoes, no potatoes but also calls for sour cream added the last 30 minutes. Neither recipe calls for browning the meat or scraping the bits from the pan. (Don't see why you couldn't add that step.)

If either sounds like something you would like I'd be happy to send it to you.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:20 PM

I just happen to have one of the first Crock Pot recipe books. My husband was a printing salesman at the time Rival came out with the Crock Pot and he got the job of printing the recipe books so I got a new book each time they revised it.
The book I have had Beef Stew onions carrots potatoes but no tomatoes the Hardy Beef Stew had carrots onions celery and 1 can tomatoes.
I could type these out and send to you my pm if you want me to.
Barb
Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Would it be the "Bachelor's Stew" recipe??
..... do you remember did it have tapioca powder in it, as the thickener?

That was in the Rival hardcover book from 40 yrs ago.
I had it and made it many times. Then lost the book and the recipe.
I did find one online which is pretty much the same.
Let me know ... if this is what you want, I will post it here.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:18 AM

I have an old rival crock pot recipe book...Hearty Beef stew........3/4 pound stew meat cut into 1 inch cubes....1 potato diced...1 carrot sliced...1 small onion diced......1 can 14 1/2 ounce Whole tomatoes..2 Tbls quick cooking Tapioca...1 Bay Leaf...salt and Pepper... Trim all fat from meat. Put all ingredients in crock-ette Mix thoroughly. Cover and cook 10 to 12 hours.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
Years (and years) ago I bought a Rival crock pot that came with a small recipe book. In it was a recipe for beef stew. You coated the meat in flour and browned it first before putting it in the pot, then added some water to the pan and scraped together all the bits left in the pan and added them to the pot, along with vegetables (I don't think potatoes were included), canned tomatoes and a bay leaf.

My DH loved that stew and I have lost the recipe. Sound familiar to anyone? I'd love to have it if you've got it.
EASY CROCK POT STEW RECIPE

This is a really easy recipe with just a few ingredients for a really delicious tasting beef stew.

Ingredients:

-4 medium-sized red potatoes
-1 to 1/2 lbs. of beef stewing meat
-1/3 cup of flour
-salt and pepper [to taste]
-one 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes [undrained]
-2 cups of water
-3 cups [in total] of frozen stir fry bell peppers and onion

Here you go: First scrub the potatoes and proceed to cut each one into quarters. Place the cut up potatoes in the bottom of your Crock Pot. Then mix the flour, salt and pepper and toss with the beef to make sure the beef is well coated. Add to your Crock Pot. Next, add the undrained tomatoes and water and stir them in. Cover the Crockpot and cook it on the low setting for about seven to eight hours until the beef and potatoes are at the desired tenderness. Add the stir fry vegetables. Now cover and cook it on the low setting for thirty to forty minutes until the vegetables are nice and tender. This should end up making you about four to six servings
Old 11-08-2014, 10:40 AM

I too have a very early Rival recipe book. The beef stew recipe in this book calls for flour to be mixed with salt and pepper and then mixed in with the meat in the cooker. It also calls for ingredients such as paprika, garlic, bay leaf, Kitchen Bouquet etc. If this sounds like what you are looking for please let me know. I would be most happy to share this with all.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by birdbytemom View Post
I too have a very early Rival recipe book. The beef stew recipe in this book calls for flour to be mixed with salt and pepper and then mixed in with the meat in the cooker. It also calls for ingredients such as paprika, garlic, bay leaf, Kitchen Bouquet etc. If this sounds like what you are looking for please let me know. I would be most happy to share this with all.
Forgot about the Kitchen Bouquet as I had never heard of it til then and now hate when I am without it!
Does this one have the tapioca in it as well?
And named Bachelor's Stew?

If so, would you please post the recipe here for me?? ... Please and Thanks!
Old 11-08-2014, 03:49 PM

Not the recipe you are asking for but the best stew I make is easy. You coat the beef with flour and pepper and brown it in a skillet. Put the meat and veggies in the crock pot. Add some broth or water to the skillet to scrape up all of the bits. Then add a packet of ranch dressing mix and Italian dressing mix to the liquid. This makes the best stew.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:19 PM

Happy to be of help. This Rival recipe is from around 1984.

BEEF STEW
2 pounds beef chuck or stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paprika
4 carrots, sliced
3 potatoes, diced
2 onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet

Place meat in cooker. Mix flour, salt and pepper, and pour over meat; stir to coat meat with flour. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and cook on Low 10 to 12 hours. (High: 4 to 6 hours). Stir stew thoroughly before serving.

This is written verbatum from the book. I'm sure if you are like me you will add more or less veggies. By the way my husband saw me writing this and now he wants me to make it for him too.

Last edited by birdbytemom; 11-08-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: accidently hit enter key