Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help

Blog Entries
    Why oh why can I not make scalloped potato. I have great luck with the pre pack I do in the micro, and usually have them on hand. Today is my annual attempt. I found a reciepe using mushroom soup. Well they have been in the oven for 30 min. Just checked & a few are turning black. I'm using a glass dish & I can only have oven on 350. I just covered them with foil. :cry:

Blog Entries
    They always take me an hour or an hour 15 mins. What is the problem?

do you par-boil your potatoes first?
    My grandmother, mother and now my sis make the best scalloped potatoes.
    Peel & slice the spuds, par boil until almost fork tender, drain & cool. Layer with your cheese, onion, a sprinkle of flour to thicken, redo, top with cheese and bake @ 350 for 30-45 minutes until thick & bubbly.

YUM!!!
    Happy cooking, Susan

Maybe you aren't slicing them thin enough? I always make a white sauce (flour, butter, salt, pepper, milk) and layer the potatoes with onions and the white sauce. Sometimes leftover ham. They do take about 1.5hrs to bake (first half hr covered) but I usually make a big batch if I make them.

You guys are going to be responsible for me gaining 5 pounds this weekend. Now I'm going to have to make it for dinner. Man, that sounds yummy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG
    Maybe you aren't slicing them thin enough? I always make a white sauce (flour, butter, salt, pepper, milk) and layer the potatoes with onions and the white sauce. Sometimes leftover ham. They do take about 1.5hrs to bake (first half hr covered) but I usually make a big batch if I make them.
    Thank you SUZAG. I think the covering for first 30 min. is where I go wrong cause after I covered the dish , steam built up & cooked the potato. I did them 1hr.15min. The reciepe said 1hr 10 min. Next time I will do 1hr.30min. I'm getting so daring straying from the receipe. :thumbup:

I bake my sliced potatoes, onion, salt and pepper, covered with foil, until done...As the other ladies said 1.25/hours.
    I then make a white sauce, bake uncovered another 20-25
    min......very creamy and tasty. Grandkids love when I make this with ham.

I make mine in the microwave from scratch. I just spray my casserole dish with spam and layer my potatoes,onions,salt and pepper and add little slices of butter,sprinkle each layer with flour to thicken and then after that I add a mixture of evaporated milk and whole milk.I sometimes just add fresh chives to the top.I put a layer of waxed paper on top and cook until the potatoes are tender.I just made them yesterday. Yummy!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG
    Me too. Add a bit of shredded old cheddar to the layers.

I par boil my potatoes first when I make scalloped potatoes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast