Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
How to Make Homemade Butter >

How to Make Homemade Butter

How to Make Homemade Butter

Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 AM

Default How to Make Homemade Butter

How to Make Homemade Butter (Bold Baking Basics)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-03-2017 at 10:47 AM. Reason: remove copyright materials
Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Interesting site. I have to tell you I learned to make butter the old-fashioned way. My mom skimmed the cream from the top of the milk, collected it, and kept adding to it until she had enough to churn. I've turned the hand crank on the butter churn many times. However, I have no desire to churn at this point in my life! I will buy from the grocery store.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

I kept a milk cow the whole time my kids were growing up. The last Guernsey gave 3 gallons a day. I not only made butter, but a lot of cheese as well. Got very good at making a great cheddar. I also learned how to use the blender to make butter, MUCH faster. I miss the cheese and butter, but I don't really miss milking a cow twice a day.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:22 PM

Neat site!!

I make my own Vanilla Extract, self rising flour and buttermilk. We don't use buttermilk enough to keep a quart sized carton in the fridge. And making self rising flour myself tastes better than the already packaged version (my biscuits are fluffier).
One day I may experiment with making coconut, almond, orange as well lemon extracts one day.
The butter one looks easy enough and I have the ingredients already.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:40 PM

I too kept a milk cow the whole time my kids were growing up. The last Guernsey gave less than 3 gallons a day because she was blind in one teat. I cheated and let the calf nurse her too, so I or the kids only milked her once a day .....and because we shared, I only took less than 1 gallon per day. The kids made lots of butter, I used the buttermilk to make bread. Our youngest became the ice cream connoisseur and could make any flavor in the world. (we had the ice cream attachment to a kitchen aid mixer) . Never learned to make cheese or yogurt.....Not enough hours in the day . LOL. But butter in a blender is made in 3 (?) minutes. I miss the closeness to my children during those years and the warmth and loving loyalty of our milking a cow. Our cow died at 9am on Christmas Morning, and it is our family tradition (15 years now) on Christmas Morning to place the Baby Jesus in the Manger, and lay the cow in the manger down on her side. We try to be solomn, but we all still giggle after all these years
Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 AM

I kept a very small Jersey named Loverly. There was just enough for us with a outlet of 2 pigs at a time for the extra buttermilk. I would make white buttermilk cakes. The neighbor lady gave me the ultimate compliment: You cake is so light it floats off the fork. I cherish that compliment and that neighbor too. I made the butter in the Vita-Mix, very fast.
Marcia
Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 AM

My grandson watched on TV when they were making homemade butter and wanted to do it. Since I don't have a butter churn I told him there were two ways, one in a processer and the other by shaking it in a jar. He wanted to do the jar. As it went thru the different stages I let him taste it and he could see how it would slowly start turning into butter. He was then amazed to know that you make whipped cream the same way. He loved it and was very proud to eat what he'd made.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

There is nothing better than homemade Guernsey butter. I use the blender and start with room temperature cream. This is a chance to reduce your salt...using her recipe, I would start with a 1/2 t salt and adjust to your liking. I also drain off the buttermilk, then rinse with cold, cold water. I use a large wooden spoon to press out the remaining liquid...it's not as messy. My problem is getting the cream skimmed off the gallon of milk before someone needless to have a glass of milk. I like to refrigerate the milk overnight to get a good thick cream line.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:47 AM

I buy Amish butter in the 2 lb package and it's too good to try to make it myself. I tried the Irish butter, it's not very flavorful to me. When I go to Whole Foods I buy different butters to try. My stand by brand is Land of Lakes.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:09 AM

How do you make extracts?