Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Italian Herb Bread

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Italian Herb Bread

Italian Herb Bread

This is a very flavorful bread with a light texture. Would be great served with Italian food, dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I think it's very pretty when sliced, so it would be a nice bread to serve when having dinner guests or for a brunch.
    Its sort of addicting I have to admit. You will need the following ingredients:

1 1/4 cups warm water
    2 tsp active dry yeast
    2 Tblsp sugar
    2 Tblsp butter
    1 tsp salt
    2 Tblsp dry milk
    2 tsp marjoram leaves
    2 tsp thyme leaves
    2 tsp dried chives
    1 tsp basil leaves
    3 cups bread flour

Add yeast and sugar to warm water. Let stand until foamy. Place all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the liquid in and mix well. Knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and set in a warm place to raise until doubled in bulk. Or put all dry ingredients in your bread machine. Pour the liquid/yeast in and set machine to the dough setting.

Punch the dough down and shape into a loaf. Place in a sprayed bread pan. Cover and let raise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
    Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown on top and hollow sounding when tapped. Brush top with melted butter. I didn't smooth my loaf out as much as I should have before putting it in the loaf pan so it's a little lumpy looking on the top. Oh well, it's still delicious. Peggy

Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Boy that looks good. I'm such a bread person. Thanks for sharing

Lynn
    The early bird gets the worm
    But the second mouse gets the cheese

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Thanks for sharing .. may have to try these this weekend !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

This sounds absolutely yummy!! And it's especially tempting knowing that I can make it in my bread machine!! Thanks so much!!!!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...281F9350EE.png
    Civilization exists by geological consent - subject to change without notice....anon.

lbc
    I love the cheater breat machine too.

Cool sounds sooooooo good

Do you think this would make good breadsticks? I would like to find a good recipe for pretzel, nice and warm and dipped in cheese sauce. Makin' me hungry!
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ppquilter View Post
    Do you think this would make good breadsticks? I would like to find a good recipe for pretzel, nice and warm and dipped in cheese sauce. Makin' me hungry!
    No I don't think it would be that great for breadsticks but the pizza dough recipe I posted before would be good.
    I actually made it into garlic cheesy bread that I cut into breadsticks. They were terrific. Darn, it won't let me post the picture. Also I have seen some good pretzel recipes on Pinterest lately. Peggy
    Happy quilting to all of my new friends on the quilting board http://pastimesquiltdesign.blogspot.com

made it today 2/11/12....THX!

Blog Entries
    We're trying to cut back a little on bread and other carbs but this looks so delicious that I think this is one that I'll have to try sometime. Thanks.