Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A jam/jelly question

A jam/jelly question

I know someone will have the answer to this question because not only are you all such wonderful quilters, you are fantastic cooks, bakers and canners.

Does pectin lose its thickening ability with age? I have a couple of packages from last year. Do I have to throw them out and buy new or will they still thicken my raspberry jelly?

TIA everyone.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    There should be an expiry date on the package. If it is only from last year, I would go ahead and use it, I know that pie fillings, like lemon, will loose their setting ability over time. Ask me how I know?

From last year I would use them, I have done that w/plum jelly this year and it jelled. It also should have a date on it..
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    I have used some from ??, but you should not take my advice. I sometimes make some good cherry or apricot SYRUP! My DGS and his family don't seem to care. They like jelly and jam, but my goofs with the syrup seem to please them also! LOL

Thanks! I think I'll give it a go since I am also using some fruit that I had frozen last autumn. If it is a total bust, well, lesson learned and lots of syrup for pancakes.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Just use a little extra but I think from last year they should be fine. What are you making?
    Anna Quilts

Raspberry cranberry jam and probably half a recipe of raspberry jelly. Don't know how I managed to freeze so many raspberries. Thank goodness I just rinsed and froze. No sugar added at the time.

I have used them sometimes they don't jell hard but seem to be just as good tasting my fav is jalapeno jelly... and it is very hard to find in the stores and my hubby loves it so I make it often... good luck let me know if it works for you.

Blog Entries
    When in doubt, throw it out. Is it worth ruining a good batch of jam or jelly for a couple bucks?

Nowadays the SureJell lasts several years. Look for the expiration date on the end of the package.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast