Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
A jam/jelly question >

A jam/jelly question

A jam/jelly question

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 AM

I use the sugar with pectin included , it lasts forever and I find it works with my blackberry jelly/jam recipie

As many blckberries /raspberries as you can find ,
weigh em then add half that amount in apples , dont peel or core just chop em in fours ,
let em come to the boil and then simmer for 10 mins (dont add any water )
sieve the mix thro a biggish sieve or failing that a pair of tights/panty hose tied tight over a bowl
leave it overnight if u can , but if not push through with wooden spoon , then for every pint of juice add 1 pound of the sugar bring to boil and keep boiling for two mins ............voila !! just needs to go in jars and will last a year in the fridge
Old 07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Yes it does...Be sure to check the expiration date before using it.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 AM

I never use pectin anymore because I seem to get such spotty results with it. My jams and preserves are all done with the addition of sugar only. Takes a little longer to cook down but worth the results.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM

To Tessagin, when is the last time you bought Sure-Jell? It is not a couple of bucks anymore. I get so mad I can't stand it at the price of EVERYTHING anymore. I cannot for the life of me understand everyone's prices; not just the Sure-Jell. They are saying that no one is working, no one is hiring, but where is everyone getting the money for all these prices that keep going up and up and up. I need some dental work that I am going to just do without because, even though the money is there to have it done, I am not going to have it done (cut off my nose to spite my face, huh?).....
Old 07-26-2013, 07:47 AM

And, oh yes, the Sure-Jell is probably still good after a couple of years if your home is climate controlled.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I have used some from ??, but you should not take my advice. I sometimes make some good cherry or apricot SYRUP! My DGS and his family don't seem to care. They like jelly and jam, but my goofs with the syrup seem to please them also! LOL
This is so true. Ask me how I know! LOL
Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM

I have used it as much as two years out of date. Instead of adding extra chop up a couple of granny smiths and add to the fruit, they are full of natural pectin. My mum never used pectin from a package, just the biggest sourest apples she could find and cooked it till it started to thicken, then put it in jars.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Whenever I find a good sale on fruit pectin or sure-jell, I stalk up on it. Never had a problem with any of it going bad even if they are two or three years old.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 AM

Okay, I made raspberry jelly. Just to be sure, I added a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. Came out great. This was not SureJel that I was using. It was Certo light pectin dated 2011!! I waited to post because I cooked and canned it yesterday and wanted to be sure it had set.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 PM

when I make blackberry jelly I add apple cores (I freeze them through the year as I cut the apples off them). Strain all the juice together, add sugar and cook.

I agree, pectin is too expensive! and fussy.