Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Leftover Pot Roast >
  • Leftover Pot Roast

• Leftover Pot Roast

Old 12-14-2015, 02:40 PM

Barbeque baked potatoes!
    Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 PM

My mother used to grind it up with the leftover veggies and gravy to make hash. Then fry the hash in butter. It was so good!
    Old 12-15-2015, 05:27 AM

I usually freeze the last bit along with any gravy. (Remember that the gravy will lose its thickening when thawed--which doesn't make any difference in a soup!!) I make my soup--broth, can of Rotel or diced tomatoes, onion, celery and garlic simmered until tender, veggies, canned beans, pot parley or small pasta--and add the thawed and finely chopped leftover roast and gravy near the end. I found that the meat retains more flavour that way. If you add it at the beginning it just ends up tasting like boiled out beef.

I will go even further with chicken--especially the rotisserie type. We usually eat only the breasts, so I strip the meat from the leg quarters and reserve. I keep all skin and bones and make my own stock overnight in a slow cooker, adding onion, celery, carrot, garlic, peppercorns--but no extra salt. Pop it into the fridge to chill, then skim off the fat and turn the resulting broth into a great homemade soup, again adding the chopped reserved chicken near the end.

Okay, now I'm hungry for homemade soup!

Last edited by GingerK; 12-15-2015 at 05:30 AM.
    Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 AM

There are lots of things, including soups and stews. Beef BBQ sandwiches, cook it with onions and celery, make a gravy and serve it over noodles, add sour cream to that pot and you have a new meal, strogonoff. You can cut it up and make tacos or burritoes from it. Lots and lots of things.
    Old 12-15-2015, 06:18 AM
    Power Poster

I have turned it into hash and had for breakfast with couple eggs on side for DH. Great way to start your day. If I have gravy it just makes it better. Throw some biscuits in the oven or toast. DH also brown bags so not a lot of waste around here!!
    Originally Posted by jbj137
    *** Add it to vegetable soup.
    *** Make hash.
    *** Freeze for later use. I do not waste anything.
    Old 12-15-2015, 09:55 AM

..with cost of beef being so high....I use my leftovers in many of the mentioned ways
    Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 AM

I make something sort of like a 'hash.' I chop up onions and cut up or slice potatoes. Chop up left over roast. You can make this even with a handful of left over roast!
    Place a little oil in the skillet to brown the onions and get the potatoes nearly done, but not quite. Add a little flour, salt and pepper as well as kitchen bouquet to make a brown gravy. Add water. I add a can or part of a can of English peas to it (and/or other vegetables). This makes a great meal!
    Old 12-15-2015, 11:43 AM

Two of my faves....flatus and fake fajitas. For flatus I shred/cut the roast into small pieces set aside, sauté diced onions, a jalapeno pepper(can be left out) diced garlic cloves, salt, pepper to taste. Add the meat to the onions and pepper, heat till warm. I heat up the tortillas on a griddle/hot skillet with a little vegetable spray, wrap in foil to keep warm. Place a couple of tablespoons of meat on one edge and roll. After they are all rolled I put in the freezer for an hour or so....they'll hold their shape while you fry or bake. What I don't fry I keep in the freezer in a zip lock back(fry as needed). Dip in your fave salsa or cheese dip. I also use leftover chicken.

For the fake fajitas shred the roast in long strips/pieces, set aside. Saute sliced onions and bell pepper, red and yellow are good too. Add fresh diced garlic (powder is ok) and salt and pepper to taste, heat until the onions and peppers are the texture you like, I like mine a little charred. I add the meat right in with the veggies, keep sautéing until the roast strips are nice and hot. Scoop into warm flour or corn tortillas add your favorite toppings, guacamole and salsa if you like. I've also taken this mixture and put it in a roll or pita bread, makes a great sandwich.
    Old 12-15-2015, 02:18 PM

I make a potato stew. You can add carrots with the potatoes.
    Old 12-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    There are lots of things, including soups and stews. Beef BBQ sandwiches, cook it with onions and celery, make a gravy and serve it over noodles, add sour cream to that pot and you have a new meal, strogonoff. You can cut it up and make tacos or burritoes from it. Lots and lots of things.
    I like stroganoff, but I didn't think it was spelled correctly. So I tried it on the computer, but all that came up was "strongman". I went to my dictionary and couldn't find it there either. So I got out my 1955 copy of Meta Given's "Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking" and found it in there. It was only the 'a' that threw me off. I can't believe neither the computer nor my dictionary knew about it.
    Meta Given's book is my go-to for lots of things. It was first printed in 1947. I was just learning to cook then.

We like it with B B Q sauce on it, too.

And while I was doing all that, my "token" expired (whatever that is?) and I had to redo the whole post! LOL

Last edited by maviskw; 12-15-2015 at 02:30 PM.