Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Mulligan Stew >

Mulligan Stew

Mulligan Stew

Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Hello. My mom used to make us a dish she called Mulligan Stew, which was my favorite. I have no idea how she made it. It had tiny ground beef meatballs, and cubed potatoes in a white colored broth, almost like a gravy. I've tried making it with Cream of Mushroom Soup, but the mushroom flavor is overwhelming. Does anyone have any suggestions or a similar recipe?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Maybe try using 1/3 of a can of soup and milk... adjusting the amount of soup as you go? :D:D:D
Old 12-04-2010, 04:29 PM

My mother made something like this. She browned the hamburger and onions then added some flour and water to make the gravy. Added the potatoes, salt and pepper, carrots and cooked until done.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Or try using a can of cream of potato soup. I started using this for scalloped potatoes and ham, what a difference.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Have you ever made Beef Stew? If you have, you have made Mulligan Stew. Explanation follows:
Mulligan stew is an improvised dish said to have been prepared by American hobos in camps in the early 1900s.[1]

The first mention of mulligan stew in print appeared in The Yukon Midnight Sun in 1904.[2] "Mulligan" is a stand-in for any Irishman, and mulligan stew is simply an Irish stew that includes meat, potatoes, vegetables, and whatever else can be begged, scavenged, found or stolen.[3] A local Appalachian variant is a burgoo, where the available ingredients might include squirrel or 'possum. Only a pot and a fire are required. The hobo who put it together was known as the "mulligan mixer."

Originally Posted by Jersey Gal
Hello. My mom used to make us a dish she called Mulligan Stew, which was my favorite. I have no idea how she made it. It had tiny ground beef meatballs, and cubed potatoes in a white colored broth, almost like a gravy. I've tried making it with Cream of Mushroom Soup, but the mushroom flavor is overwhelming. Does anyone have any suggestions or a similar recipe?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Adding flour and water might have been what my mother used. Do you remember if your mother's gravy was light in color, not a brown gravy. I doubt my mom used can soup, as I have tried in making this stew. Thanks Susie.

Originally Posted by susiequilt
My mother made something like this. She browned the hamburger and onions then added some flour and water to make the gravy. Added the potatoes, salt and pepper, carrots and cooked until done.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Gal
Adding flour and water might have been what my mother used. Do you remember if your mother's gravy was light in color, not a brown gravy. I doubt my mom used can soup, as I have tried in making this stew. Thanks Susie.

Originally Posted by susiequilt
The browner the meat the browner the gravy! Her's was lighter than regular gravy! A tan if I remember right.
No soup in this.
:-D

I made it when my kids were small.
Browned the meat and onions then added flour and mixed and scrapped the bottom of the pan to get those little bits of meat. Stirred while adding the water to let it thicken. Put in potatoes and carrots. You could also add other veggies and let it cook until done.
I think the kids liked it! It's been a long time.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Yum