Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
need salad ideas for a 50's Sock Hop theme event >

need salad ideas for a 50's Sock Hop theme event

need salad ideas for a 50's Sock Hop theme event

Old 05-01-2017, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

What is the age range for the people attending this event?

What do you like to eat? I would always bring something I liked to a Potluck - that way I knew there would be at least one thing that I liked.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 PM

How about 3 bean salad. I ate a lot of that growing up. So much that I never make it.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
How about 3 bean salad. I ate a lot of that growing up. So much that I never make it.
Oh yes ... how could I have ever forgotten that one?
Hated it then ... and still do.

Another was marinated carrots.
Wasn't overly impressed with it then, but managed to eat some. Not much different now, either!
Old 05-01-2017, 02:20 PM

How about corn salad with celery, tomatoes, onion, celery seed and mayo. I'm sure there is a better recipe somewhere but I haven't followed one for years.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:11 PM

I best dig out my 1963 Betty Crocker cook book, was a bridal shower gift. Right now am leaning toward the broccoli salad.
QuiltE,I love cabbage salads and take them to church meals, actually took a sweet/sour version to the potluck yesterday. Usually take a KFC version that always goes over well.
And pineapple in green jello sounds good.

Will get fresh broccoli while out tomorrow and make some, have plenty in the freezer that I use often.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions
Old 05-01-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What is the age range for the people attending this event?

What do you like to eat? I would always bring something I liked to a Potluck - that way I knew there would be at least one thing that I liked.
All ages will attend the event. I ALWAYS take something I like just for your reasons and for any left overs. But with 100 people just might not have anything left over.

So should I double a recipe of the broccoli salad or not. Do not recall how big the salad was at church, the last time it was brought in.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

I also use the peeled broccoli stems - chopped - in the salad.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

a good macaroni salad without onions. a lot of people are allergic to onions, and a lot of salads have onions. I try to find a salad without them. I love green beans, long, with Italian dressing over it. you could add bacon bits, but by itself, it's delish. Or a pasta salad with some corn, slivered carrots and peas with Italian dressing over it. it won't go bad in the heat, and is very good. kids like it b/c the beans are long and looks like fun.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

'Eating healthy' and the 50's are two things at the opposite ends of the spectrum! Green jello salads with cream cheese, pineapple and marshmallows in them were all the rage. You are going to have to pick between healthy and authentic, I'm afraid.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:26 PM

We ate a lot of potato salad when we had a bar-b-que or fried chicken and macaroni salad (but I wouldn't eat it because it was made with mayo - so was the potato salad but it had the mustard to disguise the mayo).
My mother made a salad at every dinner/supper and I remember we always had French dressing, unless it was spaghetti then there was Italian dressing. She never did the broccoli salad - she loved the Waldorf salad - but I think that was after we moved to Seattle in 1962.