Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Persimmons???

Annthreecats... That was an excellent link thanks so much! That clears up some of my questions. It seems you have to wait until they are mush inside beore this type is ripe and this variety is best used as a baking ingredient.

This was an interesting reply on that thread link... Anyone ever try this?

"For Hachiya persimmons, all you need to do to get it to ripen is to place them or bury them in RICE and wait for a couple of days/weeks and it’s ripen right up..Never freeze them..Bury them in RICE!! It works..My family has done it for generations."
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

We have two persimmon trees in our yard and have had them at least 43 yr.s. They are good for attracting bees and very slippery when stepped on. My Husband hates to cut down trees that are still alive. He cuts the grass and walks in that part of the yard. They are the largest persimmon trees I have ever seen. Deer eat them and they grow wild around here. We have never eaten them and always have a bumper crop.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    Here's a recipe we like. Yum!
    Persimmon Pudding
    My grandpa used to make the best persimmon pudding.
    Happy Quilting.

I love then just plain but they make great cookies...Go to Cooks.com and they have a lot of recipes....

Humm... good cookies? I will try that. I have a cherry cobbler in the oven right now from my cherry tree cherries. I put them up into the freezer earlier this year.

You should give that fruit away, jingle! Such a waste to have it just feed the deer and track up the house. Don't you have a homeless shelter that would take them?
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-30-2012 at 04:31 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2