Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Potatoe Soup >

Potatoe Soup

Potatoe Soup

Old 10-31-2015, 06:52 AM

I make mine much like the ones above....I slice some potatoes and cook with salt, pepper and a little red pepper. I sometimes add celery and/or carrots....I add lots of onions diced up. The red pepper gives it a little zing. I cook these in water, but you could use broth if you want. When these are almost done, I add I add some milk and butter. If I need to thicken the soup a little, I add some instant potatoes.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:53 AM

Default Potato Soup

I always use instant mashed Potatoes to thicken my soup. Works great and adds to the potato taste.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:21 AM

I make potato soup by boiling potatoes and cooking carrots and onions separately. I either saute them in butter or put them in the micro wave and drain and save the water. I drain the potatoes, reserving the water. I mash the potatoes - we like them smoother but you may want them chunky - adding the reserved water until it is the consistency you want. I then add other vegetables and a small carton of sour cream (the secret). I also add chopped hot dogs, but you can add bacon, ham or no meat, your choice, and warm through. When serving, I add butter and shredded cheddar - my granddaughter wants it at least once a week during the winter. Try it - not difficult and the extra water from the potatoes works for other soups as well.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:49 PM

Tammyg, my recipe comes from the Uni of Nebraska back in the 70's called Midwest Chowder. Its a basic potato soup with carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, cooked till tender. Don't drain the water (or chicken broth) but add powdered milk so you don't lose the vitamins in the liquid. Add a can of cream corn and 6-8oz of shredded cheese. Back when we were kids we always added cooked ground beef to the soup. I still do. This makes a nice thick soup for those cold days we'll be having soon enough.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:07 PM

I made Blackberry's WeightWatchers potato soup today, it was a big hit! My grandson told my I can make it any time for him. I added bacon, and I used a package of frozen carrots, celery, and onion, called mire-poix, I think. The bag said those veggies are in lots of soups and this was a convenient way to have them. That recipe is definitely a keeper!
Old 10-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

My version -

Cut up potatoes, carrots, onions, celery and cook in a small amount of buttered water. ( about 1/2 cup water and 1/4 c butter) until tender. If I have shredded cabbage, broccoli, and/or zucchini, I wii add that, too.

I then make a very thin white sauce and add that to the vegetables.

White sauce proportions: 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon butter, to 2 cups milk.

Season with salt and pepper.

The amounts of vegetables vary according to what is available.

I usually cook so that there will be enough for more than one meal -

Grated cheddar cheese can be added, too. So can ham, bacon, Spam, or hot dogs.

Last edited by bearisgray; 10-31-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:03 PM

Found this recipe in the paper while out of town for my grandson's birth more than 20 years ago, and it's been one of
dh's favorites ever since.

CHEESY POTATO SOUP
5 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
1 c milk
1 stick butter or margarine
1/2 lb Mild Mexican Velveeta (or regular Velveeta, with or without a little chopped jalapeno)

In water to barely cover, simmer potatoes, onion and celery until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and partially mash potatoes. Add remaining ingredients and return to low heat until cheese is melted.

Daffy
Old 11-01-2015, 11:33 AM

This is an easy very good one:

Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
Ingredients:
1 (30 oz.) bag frozen (diced, not shredded) hash-brown potatoes
2 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1/2c chopped onion
1/3 tsp. ground black pepper
1 (8oz) package cream cheese (softened)
Garnish: minced green onion

Directions:

1. In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, broth, soup, onion, and pepper.

2. Cover, and cook on low for 5 hours.

3. Stir in cream cheese, cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until combined.

4. Garnish with green onion.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:50 PM

well if this isnt making me hungry, lol, i think i have all the ingredients to make potato soup
Old 11-02-2015, 02:55 PM

I don't have all the ingredients for the soups yet but I will by tomorrow night. Yum Yum