Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cheesy potato recipe please. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cheesy-potato-recipe-please-t288348.html)

bearisgray 05-19-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting (Post 7827243)
All this needs is bacon and a heart transplant. :D

For "ordinary" scalloped potatoes - if I feel I have to add something besides white sauce to them - I prefer Spam. (I can already hear some of you groaning or sneering out there!)

ube quilting 05-19-2017 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7827282)
For "ordinary" scalloped potatoes - if I feel I have to add something besides white sauce to them - I prefer Spam. (I can already hear some of you groaning or sneering out there!)

Fried spam with White Karo Syrup.:thumbup:

mim 05-19-2017 04:16 PM

I loved this dish until I became gluten intolerant -- All the cream soups are loaded with flour. and I had a really bad bout. Some days I would die for a croissant

Mim

cashs_mom 05-19-2017 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mim (Post 7827475)
I loved this dish until I became gluten intolerant -- All the cream soups are loaded with flour. and I had a really bad bout. Some days I would die for a croissant

Mim

I hear ya, Mim. I'm gluten sensitive and now I have a bunch of other food sensitivities, too. Some days eating isn't much worth it.

bearisgray 05-19-2017 07:47 PM

I wonder if one could use corn starch for some of the thickening effect - other seasonings to make up for the flavors in the soup - probably need to read the sour cream labels carefully, too. Some of them have a lot of "stuff" in them.

Or rice starch. There are other thickeners out there - if one can tolerate them and the rest of the components.

One of the few advantages to cooking "from scratch" - one has a better idea of what one is putting in one's mouth.

cashs_mom 05-20-2017 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mim (Post 7827475)

Mim

I forgot to tell you, Mim. Progresso has some cream soups that are gluten free. I've eaten the Clam Chowder and it's great. I had no problems from it. I have some Cream of Mushroom, but haven't used that yet.

barny 05-20-2017 01:29 PM

I have used this for funerals for many years. Learned it from another lady that I helped. I now do
it for our Domino group, and we love it. Feeds 15 if they don't try to take all of it.ha,ha.
If I don't have green onions, I use chives.

mim 05-20-2017 03:11 PM

don't you just love the phrase "dead spread" ?????:o I shall pass it along. As some of get along -- not me, you understand -- we do get to say farewell to our friends and neighbors.
Mim

Watson 05-21-2017 10:20 AM

Cheesy Potatoes....

2lbs small frozen hash brown potatoes
2 cups sour cream
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cans Campbells cream of celery soup
1 small onion chopped fine
8 oz or more shredded cheddar
Extra cheddar for topping

Spray 9x13 pan.
Mix all ingredient together except topping and spread in pan.
Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
Cover with foil 1st half hour, then remove for last 15 minutes.
Allow to rest 10 minutes, tented with foil before serving.
350 -45 minutes.

Watson

Irishrose2 05-22-2017 11:28 AM

My recipe is very similar to each of these, but I use less onion and do not add the 1/2 cup of butter. There is plenty of fat in the sour cream and some in the soup.
Like several of you, I have to be gluten free, but I still make these for my family. I haven't found a good substitute for cream of chicken soup and that's my preferred cream soup.