Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cheesy potato recipe please.

Smile Cheesy potato recipe please.

At a funeral luncheon (or as they called it "a dead spread"!) I ate a delicious cheesy potato casserole and would like to know the recipe. It used frozen little (half-inch) cubed potatoes, few onions and a fairly cheesy sauce, then baked till browned. Anyone know this?

This sounds like the one using frozen hash browns, mushroom soup, cheese and onions. My friend calls it "Potato Supreme"
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

I have a recipe for something similar, except the potatoes were sliced and placed in the pan alternating a potato slice and an onion slice and then covered with cheese.
    Patrice S

Power Poster
    Here is a recipe using frozen hash brown potatoes - but the diced ones might work as well.

You can also use almost any other flavor of "cream" soup - cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of potato - - instead of Cream of Chicken.

I looked up several recipes for this - and the amounts of various ingredients varied from recipe to recipe - so there is a lot of leeway when this made.

I've always used the crushed potato chips for the topping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-18-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here you go.
    Funeral Potatoes

Ingredients:

• 2 packages of Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns*
    • 1 can cream of chicken soup
    • 16 oz sour cream
    • 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped
    • 1 cup corn flakes, crushed + 2 Tbsp melted butter

*Note: These are packages of refrigerated hash browns. You can substitute about 40 oz of frozen hash browns, but you’ll need to thaw them beforehand!

Melt the 1/2 cup of butter in a saucepan on your stovetop.

Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, cheese, and green onions to the pan. Stir over low-medium heat until the cheese has melted and everything is well combined. Remove from heat.

Spread hash browns evenly across the bottom of a 9” x 13” baking dish.

Pour the creamy, cheesy mixture from the saucepan over the top of the potatoes. Spread it into an even layer with a spatula.

Stir together the crushed corn flakes and the 2 tablespoons of melted butter.

Then sprinkle the corn flakes mixture over the top of the potatoes and cream mixture.

Put the baking dish into your oven, and bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees. When the top is golden brown and the potatoes are hot and bubbly, you’ll know it’s done! Let it stand for 15 minutes. Then dig in and enjoy!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Power Poster
    For the ones I make - I have found it's easier to just smush the ingredients together by hand like I'm mixing meatloaf. My hands do get pretty cold, though, if the potatoes are still cold.

I have one that is very similar to bears & Jan's but I add bacon bits to mine. Yummy!

Here is mine. A pretty old recipe that my aunt used to make many years ago. Wasn't a reunion without her potato casserole.

2 lb bag frozen hash browns Thawed
    1/2 cup butter melted
    1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    1 pint sour cream
    1 can Cream of Onion soup
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    Topping
    2 cups crushed corn flakes
    1/4 cup melted butter
    Mix all together except topping. Place in 9x13 casserole dish. sprayed with Pam .
    Mix topping and spread on top.
    Bake 350 for 45-60 minutes.

This board is the greatest! Thanks so much. I have printed out the recipes and filed them in my cookbook. Now I will make this for supper. Got hungry just reading them. Have some leftover ham to use and think it would taste good with potatoes, and of course green beans for my husband.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Here is a recipe using frozen hash brown potatoes - but the diced ones might work as well.

You can also use almost any other flavor of "cream" soup - cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of potato - - instead of Cream of Chicken.

I looked up several recipes for this - and the amounts of various ingredients varied from recipe to recipe - so there is a lot of leeway when this made.

I've always used the crushed potato chips for the topping.
    All this needs is bacon and a heart transplant.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    All this needs is bacon and a heart transplant.
    For "ordinary" scalloped potatoes - if I feel I have to add something besides white sauce to them - I prefer Spam. (I can already hear some of you groaning or sneering out there!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    For "ordinary" scalloped potatoes - if I feel I have to add something besides white sauce to them - I prefer Spam. (I can already hear some of you groaning or sneering out there!)
    Fried spam with White Karo Syrup.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

mim
    I loved this dish until I became gluten intolerant -- All the cream soups are loaded with flour. and I had a really bad bout. Some days I would die for a croissant

Mim

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    I loved this dish until I became gluten intolerant -- All the cream soups are loaded with flour. and I had a really bad bout. Some days I would die for a croissant

Mim
    I hear ya, Mim. I'm gluten sensitive and now I have a bunch of other food sensitivities, too. Some days eating isn't much worth it.
    Patrice S

Power Poster
    I wonder if one could use corn starch for some of the thickening effect - other seasonings to make up for the flavors in the soup - probably need to read the sour cream labels carefully, too. Some of them have a lot of "stuff" in them.

Or rice starch. There are other thickeners out there - if one can tolerate them and the rest of the components.

One of the few advantages to cooking "from scratch" - one has a better idea of what one is putting in one's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post

Mim
    I forgot to tell you, Mim. Progresso has some cream soups that are gluten free. I've eaten the Clam Chowder and it's great. I had no problems from it. I have some Cream of Mushroom, but haven't used that yet.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    I have used this for funerals for many years. Learned it from another lady that I helped. I now do
    it for our Domino group, and we love it. Feeds 15 if they don't try to take all of it.ha,ha.
    If I don't have green onions, I use chives.
    Last edited by barny; 05-20-2017 at 01:34 PM.

mim
    don't you just love the phrase "dead spread" ????? I shall pass it along. As some of get along -- not me, you understand -- we do get to say farewell to our friends and neighbors.
    Mim

Cheesy Potatoes....

2lbs small frozen hash brown potatoes
    2 cups sour cream
    1/2 cup melted butter
    2 cans Campbells cream of celery soup
    1 small onion chopped fine
    8 oz or more shredded cheddar
    Extra cheddar for topping

Spray 9x13 pan.
    Mix all ingredient together except topping and spread in pan.
    Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
    Cover with foil 1st half hour, then remove for last 15 minutes.
    Allow to rest 10 minutes, tented with foil before serving.
    350 -45 minutes.

Watson

My recipe is very similar to each of these, but I use less onion and do not add the 1/2 cup of butter. There is plenty of fat in the sour cream and some in the soup.
    Like several of you, I have to be gluten free, but I still make these for my family. I haven't found a good substitute for cream of chicken soup and that's my preferred cream soup.

Our standard potato recipe every Thanks Giving and Christmas.
    use enough potatoes to fit into a 9" by 12" by 2" baking dish. peeled and sliced 1/l8 to 1/4"
    layer potatoes, salt and pepper, then sauce to cover the potatoes, cover with foil, poke holes for steam to escape.
    Bake for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours at 375 or till tender.
    Sauce - 2 large packs of cream cheese, stick of 'real" butter, NO whipped or watery stuff, around 3 cups milk.
    Heat in a sauce pan until melted. Do not fill baking dish to the top, Milk will boil over. put another piece of foil on the bottom of your oven just in case. I save any left over sauce in case the potatoes get too dry to pour over the potatoes later.
    Everyone loves them.
    Sylvia
    Syl