Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Does anyone have this recipe? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/does-anyone-have-recipe-t137100.html)

Sassylass 07-13-2011 09:04 AM

I have this one that I use not sure if it the same as you are looking for.
1 head of broccoli chopped fine
1/2 head of cauliflower chopped fine
1/2 spanish onion chopped fine ( I omit cuz dh doesn't like it)
1 cup of shredded cheese.
bacone bits.( I omit)
sunflower seeds sprinkled over.
I also add dried cranberries for taste and colour.

Dressing

1/2 cup of mayo
1/4 of sugar
1 Tbs of vinegar
Mix together and pour over salad just before serving.

belmer 07-13-2011 12:36 PM

I make this salad every time my Sister comes to visit, because it is her favorite!

quilterlois 07-13-2011 01:45 PM

sounds like a salad my family enjoys. Its broccoli, cauliflower, and we like cherry tomatoes with ranch dressing over it. Dosn't take much dressing. Apply small amounts at a time, tossing the vegs to coat them real well. This is very good.

Scrap Happy 07-13-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by quilterlois
sounds like a salad my family enjoys. Its broccoli, cauliflower, and we like cherry tomatoes with ranch dressing over it. Dosn't take much dressing. Apply small amounts at a time, tossing the vegs to coat them real well. This is very good.

Sounds delicious!

Clueless Quilter 07-13-2011 06:38 PM

I have a cookbook that I purchased in Shipshewana a couple of years ago called 'A Taste of Shipshewana, A Collection of Local Recipes' and it has the following recipe:

(I realize that this does have onion and bacon, but if you leave those out it could be what you are looking for.)

Cauliflower Salad:

1 head cauliflower, cut in flowerets
1 bunch broccoli, cut in small pieces
1 lb. bacon, crumbled
1 medium onion, chopped

Dressing:

2 C. Miracle Whip
1/2 C. sugar
1/3 C. parmesan cheese

Hope this helps!

Dbl Trouble 07-13-2011 06:45 PM

I have 3 spiral bound Amish-Country Cookbooks, vols 1, 2 & 3. Complied by the employees at the Das Dutchman Essenhaus in Middlebury, IN.

Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad
1 broccoli head, 1 cauliflower head, 12 pcs bacon crisp & crumbled (omit) 1 red onion, chopped (omit) 1/2 c. raisins(omit)

1 c. mayonaise, 1/2 c. sugar, 2 T. vinegar.
Combine and marinate overnight.

# 2
cauliflower, broccoli, raisins and sunflower seeds.
Dressing...Miracle whip, vinegar, sugar and little milk.

fishnlady 07-13-2011 10:54 PM

The dressing recipe above looks like what my Grandmother would make to put on her slaw. I always thought it was good but a few years ago I had to cut down on so many calories so I created this one and it is delicious.

1/2 Cup plain yogurt (I use Fage Total 0)(fah-yeh) it has no
fat, no cholesterol, 65 calories.
1/2 Cup sour cream
1/4 Cup mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons sugar (I have been using Stevia lately)
1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice or more to taste.

Blend it all together and use as the dressing on slaw, salads etc. I store it in the frig for several days to use.

A1penny 07-14-2011 03:01 AM

The broccoli and cauliflower salad sounds great. I've never made it, but i'm going to tonight. I know that in some Amish areas they really sugar everything to death, so I am going to try using Splenda or Truvia instead of sugar.

mayday 07-18-2011 09:19 AM

don't the amish breed dogs and sell them by the wayside?