Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   freezing dtuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/freezing-dtuff-t223791.html)

Psychomomquilter 06-16-2013 03:48 AM

freezing dtuff

can cabbage be frozen, if so what steps? like the other greens, I was wondering if I blanch the leaves forst, put them in cold water, let cool and guess pat dry put in bags then freeze. would like some feed back on this.

and how about cantalope, watermelon, honey dew, and the other water based fruits.

thanks for your answers!!

Tartan 06-16-2013 04:28 AM

I have heard that you can freeze a whole head of cabbage to prepare it for cabbage rolls. Once the head comes out of the freezer, you let it thaw and then the leaves are soft and pliable for removing from the head and wrapping into rolls. This will give you an idea of what frozen cabbage becomes after thawing.
I have heard of blending melon with a simple syrup to make frozen ices but not freezing as a fruit.

QuiltE 06-16-2013 05:17 AM

Most fruits can be frozen, simply by cutting up and freezing.
However, you may find they will be softer and may slump when thawed (eg. strawberries, raspberries, plums etc.).
Also, with a lot of water/juice created.

Melons will keep their shape fairly well, though may be softer in texture and create some juice.

Cabbage can be frozen, blanched or not.

When I want to freeze something, but unsure ... I try a small "test" when I have some on hand. That way I haven't done a lot of work or gone to a big expense, if I do not like the results. Leave it in the freezer for a couple of weeks, and then take it out and see how it "performs" and make your decisions.

And yes, Google, can be a your best friend for more info! :D

yngldy 06-16-2013 12:38 PM

You can also contact the farm extension department at your local university. They usually always have information on canning and freezing foods.

Karen1956 06-17-2013 03:10 AM

Yes, you can freeze cabbage. I do for soup. I just chop the cabbage up, put it in vacuum seal bags and then in the freezer. When I get ready to make vegetable soup, I grab a bag of cabbage and dump it in. It's SOOO good. I've never frozen it for cabbage rolls, so I'm not sure how it would turn out.

Pat75 06-17-2013 08:31 AM

REgarding freezing melon like fruits I did it once many years ago and was very disapointed with the results I cut the fruit into bite sized pieces and froze them in zip lock bags .When I defrosted them the juice was in the bowl and the remaining fruit was a limp undesirable mess Never again

grammyj 06-17-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Karen1956 (Post 6126730)
Yes, you can freeze cabbage. I do for soup. I just chop the cabbage up, put it in vacuum seal bags and then in the freezer. When I get ready to make vegetable soup, I grab a bag of cabbage and dump it in. It's SOOO good. I've never frozen it for cabbage rolls, so I'm not sure how it would turn out.

I have frozen chopped cabbage too It works very well for soup.No need for blanching.

meanmom 06-18-2013 12:00 PM

I have frozen cabbage in the past. I just chop it up and put it in freezer bags. Cantaloupe come out pretty mushy. It does make a good smoothie with some vanilla yogurt.

girliegirl 06-19-2013 05:14 AM

I freeze raw cabbage, I quarter it and chop it up. I use it for my soups and when I make fried cabbage and bow ties!

QuiltE 06-19-2013 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl (Post 6131032)
I freeze raw cabbage, I quarter it and chop it up. I use it for my soups and when I make fried cabbage and bow ties!

Please do tell us more about fried cabbage and bow ties ... perhaps a recipe too!
I am totally intrigued!! THANKS!!