French Onion Soup -- Crockpot!!
This is the easiest and most certain way to make French Onion Soup that I've found!
No more rushing it, and burning the onions for me. :)
Now you've got me wanting to brew some up ...
... and guess what? only one onion on hand!!
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
French Onion Soup -- Crockpot
Toss together in crockpot --
4 large onions, sliced
2 tbsp. oil
salt and pepper
1 tsp. sugar
Cook til onions are soft and caramelized.
Time will vary, depending on your crock (approx. 8 to 10 hours on low or on high for 5 to 6 hours,)
Add and cook til warmed --
10 oz. can beef consomme
1 can water
dried thyme (optional)
When warmed through, ladle into 4 oven-safe soup bowls.
Top with piece of bread and shredded swiss and parmesan cheeses.
* I fill my crockpot with onions and adjust the quantities for the remaining ingredients accordingly.
* Because I like LOTS of onions and less broth, I tend not to use as much broth as called for.
..And of course, depends on the size of those onions!
* The caramelizing stage does not take as long in my crock.
* This recipe is very freezer friendly! Thaw and reheat on stove top, in microwave or back in the crockpot.
* For convenience, I also freeze bread with the parmesan/swiss on top, to simplify preparation later.